Anybody found the iPad difficult to handle?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hajime, Oct 1, 2012.

1. hajime macrumors 68040

I have tried my family's iPad 2 for a few times. I found it very uncomfortable to handle especially with one hand. I feel the device pushing my fingers hard. Is it just me? Is there any accessory that makes the user feel more comfortable to handle the iPad 2 (or especially the latest one) single handed? That accessory must be portable as I will carry the latest iPad around.

2. zunex macrumors member

My advice for you is going to the gym or maybe start doing some push-up everyday? :D

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Why do so many people complain about not being able to use the iPad with one hand? I'm pretty sure it's meant to be used two-handed.

4. taipan61 macrumors 6502

i can see where the op's complaints come from, the ipad really isn't ergonomically friendly.
    while being a very nice device it's rather like using a netbook with one hand, you can do it but not very easily or (for some) very long
    of course there are cases made with a single handle on the back (or make one yourself) or the option of using a desk or lap...etc

just my .02

5. 725032 Guest

I use a Google Nexus 7 tablet and absolutely love it.

It's the perfect mix of portability with easy use on the go or at home.

6. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

What a ridiculous thread!!!!! Why don't you go back to using a laptop if you feel the iPad is too heavy to use...it's as light as a full mug of coffee from Starbucks, but you don't see people complaining about those do u? This really is the stuff LOL is made of.

7. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

8. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Isn't there some ipad sleeve with a band at the back where you can slip your fingers through? It still will be impossible to manipulate the screen while holding it with the same hand, though. :p

9. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    I've no idea how old the OP is or his/her physical condition, but I find that carrying my iPad 2 in one hand is as easy as carrying a clipboard.

I use a poly smart cover which, when folded back, gives me a nonslip grip. I use my other hand for writing, opening apps, etc.

The OP notes that the device is "pushing my fingers hard." Loosen your grip. Or put it in a case of some sort if you're insecure holding it. No need to clutch it in a death grip. Little wonder you find holding it uncomfortable.

Heck, my iPad is lighter than my purse so I've no complaints or discomfort.

10. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I think I get the OP. It's not the weight, it's the design of the edges.

With the original iPad, I had no problems. Even though it was heavier, the edges are not as sharp. With the iPad '3', it really sucks holding it in one hand -- the edge presses into my palm, and makes it uncomfortable after a while. With the original, I watched a whole movie holding it in one hand!

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Oh, ok, I have that same problem, not only with the iPad but also with MacBooks and iPhone 4/4S/5. Also, the edges are uncomfortable whether I'm holding the iPad with one hands or two. But then, I just put all my devices in cases and that solves the problem.

12. plucky duck macrumors 6502

It was for me without the targus folio case, the edges would eat into my palm and felt quite uncomfortable.

13. big samm macrumors 65816

I wont lie this thing is heavy specially after i play with my nexus 7.

14. VFC macrumors 6502a

I am > 230 lbs and a weight lifter and I find the iPad a pain to hold for any extended period. I recently purchased a Nexus 7, and since then, rarely turn on my new iPad. I can use it for extended periods without having to prop up my arm or hand on a pillow.

I think more people would "get" the OP's issue if they used both for a couple weeks. The iPad is unnecessarily heavy for its size. It is especially noticeable when you pick up the Asus TF700 tablet in one hand and the iPad in the other. I got to do that at BB since they had the two on display near each other.

15. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

Yep, that is why mini will have more rounded edges.

16. Thegolem macrumors regular

I've just got one today and typing While holding it with two hands for people who aren't giants is a nightmare! I can only think Apple have had a reason to make it as unwiedly as they have. The device itself is too wide to hold and use your thumbs to type letters in then middle of the keyboard. Whats really annoying about this is that there's the best part of an inch on either side made up of norhing but a black rim which if it could have been got rid of would make the device less wide and consequently make typing easier while holding it with no loss in screen size. I can only think that it is not as weildly as it could be so people dont adopt it as a post-pc device because they don't want to or not yet throw the towel in on Mac sales. Two things:
    1. Theyre making more money out of idevices even jsut iPads than they are Macs so theres no need to keep people buying macs jsut for the money
    2. Steve jobs seemed pretty keen on using the phrase 'post pc-device' which implys no real sentiment to keeping pcs (and by that he meant personal computers in general not just Windows PCs...he was akaed specifically about this and explained he meant all Personal computers i.e Macs too) even a desire to create a PC killing device so it seems strange that The device he heralded so mmcuh which is the current epitome of a post-pc device has not been designed to enable typing to be as easy as possible. It's just too wide to comfortably hold in your hands and type...quite ludicrously so.
    I traded in my Mac for an ipad in the hope it would prove an adequate alternative for the main things I do...surfing the web and using documnets but it's back to slumming it on my old Vista Windows Laptop. I'll probably keep this as an ereader and to use a portable auxiliary to my PC until I save up for a new Mac in the next year or two. Luckily I got a lot more money for my mac than I'd anticipated and didn't even have to pay anything...I actually got £93 voucher back so I'm not too cheesed off but not being able type comfortaly on an iPad is frustrating the &@£! out of me.

17. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

I find that the iPad and other similarly sized tablets are uncomfortable to hold in one hand for long periods of time. I would have to prop it against something like my leg or table. I have a keyboard dock for my tablet, so the dock holds it up for me.

Other smaller and lighter tablets are more comfortable to hold in one hand for long periods of time. The Sony ones tend to be around 8.5" and lighter. Then there are a number of 7" tablets in the market for a while and the rumoured 7" iPad is supposed to be announced some time this month.

18. LastOneToKnow macrumors member

I don't find the iPad 3 terribly comfortable to hold for any length of time due to the edges. Purchased an Incipio back for it which rounds the edges off quite nicely without adding any bulk. Makes all the difference in the world for me not to mention protecting the back and edges.

19. Infinitewisdom, Oct 2, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012

Infinitewisdom macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I picked up a Caudabe back cover that's a translucent matte texture. Pretty thin and texture makes it a lot easier to grip.

Having said all that, I think the so-called "sweet spot" for me would be something around the Mini's purported 7.85". 7" tablets don't do it for me, at least not in their current aspect ratios. Screen is too narrow and a bit too small overall to fit in enough information to be useful. The Galaxy Tab 7.7, though, is close.

20. MiniMoke macrumors member

Just split the onscreen keyboard (swipe outward to both sides on the keyboard with 2 fingers......). Problem solved!

21. Thegolem macrumors regular

Thanks. I googled it and found out how it works. It makes a big difference although it's still too akward to make the iPad anything more than an auxiliary device.

22. Icedliptontea macrumors newbie

M-edge

Try m-edge super shell ? I got mine a wk ago. Impressed w it!

23. lighthouse_man macrumors 6502a

This is one of the main reasons I passed by iPad 1 to my family and have been expecting, although not relentlessly, the mini for the past 7 months.

24. Paddict macrumors newbie