Anybody from SC?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by npolly0212, Oct 4, 2015.

1. npolly0212 macrumors 65816

Student down at USC-Columbia and it has been hellacious for the past 2 days here. School cancelled for tomorrow already, no water (said could be out for the next 3-4 days). Roadways giving way and collapsing along with damns and bridges around the whole state of SC. Just horrible weather here.

2. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

I have friends in Mt. Pleasant, and they had a river in their backyard that just subsided yesterday. I hope that you are safe and can get the things that you need.

I know it's a bit late for you to gather these things, and I hope you have them, but for those that are reading along, have 2-7 days supplies of food, water, and medicines. Too late is too late to get these things, and all of these things can be gotten for about $40 per person:

1. Bottled water at Costco - $5/case - 4 cases for each person
    2. Snacks - Granola bars, beef jerky, instant oatmeal - $20 per person
    3. Essential medicines - (for me, it's about $40 - Insulin Dependent Diabetic)

The time to prepare for disaster is now, not when the storm is at the door. The calm that you get by being prepared is nice.

3. npolly0212 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah the only thing we didn't have is water, everybody is sold out around us and can't et it anywhere as most stores are still closed

They cut off the water to the city of Columbia and said it could be up to 4 days before we get running water and whatnot again.
    I actually made it into work this morning so I am going to run by SAMs club or someone and hope they are open to grab some water

4. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

If you can, get out of Columbia and it might be easier to get the water at a Sam's up in Greenville or Charleston. Heck, even Atlanta (or on the way to one of these places).

Wishing you the best of luck!

5. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

I'm listening to WSC (from Charleston), and it sounds horrible. Any comments I make on advice are done from a point of helping you and giving you ideas, and not as a person telling you what to do.

6. npolly0212 thread starter macrumors 65816

I appreciate it!
    Just cancelled classes for Tuesday as well so may head to my parents in Chapin after work and stay there, have running water and everything

7. npolly0212 thread starter macrumors 65816

Well another dam broke yesterday and the Columbia canal also did which is what the Columbia water runs off of from the water plant so now river water is mixing with it.
    Said they have no idea when we will have water in our city at this point.
    Have to rebuild a new dam to it to get water to stop mixing together for city water.
    The other dam that broke yesterday they declared an immediate evacuation zone (which where I stay was a block from the map they wanted to evacuate so went home to my parents and staying there). Got called back from a job while working because of the damn breaking and vein a mile down the road from it.

At this point it is bad and any river water and whatnot is still coming down from the upstate and saying he flooding is nowhere near done even though it's sunny and not a cloud in site. Still saying that there are multiple dams that could fail at any point right now.

Just cancelled classes for the rest of the week so downtown isn't expecting road fixtures or water for a few days I am assuming.

8. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

Glad to hear that you're OK. They're expecting bad things in the Lowcountry later this week.

When it comes to Nature vs. Man, Nature plays the long game, and she always wins.

(on a side note, I was talking with my 6 year old son, and he asked what we'd do if the house caught on fire. I told him that we'd get everyone out. He then asked if we'd go back in to get the stuff. I told him, "no," as I can get a new computer, blankets, and toys, but I can't get a new Calvin. I think your parents are thinking the same thing...)

9. npolly0212 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah that's exactly there thoughts. They were all worried when I showed up and my gf wasn't there but relieved a lot of stress when my gf showed up a few minutes later. Her family lives in Ohio so they are happy she is with me

10. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

That's good to hear! Take care, and keep us all updated!