Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I did mine through chat at about 2 this afternoon. The agent said she had to submit a ticket and it would be done in 5-7 days. Not sure why the delay. I'm an AT&T customer, and the phone was purchased three years ago on my current account. I've upgraded to the 4S, so the IMEI should be clear. I wonder if some of the agents either don't know how to do it or are just lazy.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I did mine through chat at about 2 this afternoon. The agent said she had to submit a ticket and it would be done in 5-7 days. Not sure why the delay. I'm an AT&T customer, and the phone was purchased three years ago on my current account. I've upgraded to the 4S, so the IMEI should be clear. I wonder if some of the agents either don't know how to do it or are just lazy.

Have you tried restoring? The agent told me that it would take couple of hours. I am restoring my iphone 4 as of now but am downloading the ios5.1 update.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Update: used the liveperson chat at around 3 PM. Just restored my iphone, and got the Message telling me that it is unlocked. I put in my T-mobile pay as you go sim card and voila it worked.

KoG506

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2012
Ohio
Update: used the liveperson chat at around 3 PM. Just restored my iphone, and got the Message telling me that it is unlocked. I put in my T-mobile pay as you go sim card and voila it worked.

Do you have an account with at&t?

I called in few days ago, rep told to wait till 4/16 for the case thing that some people have. I don't have an account nor ever had one with AT&T. I called in to get my 3GS unlocked. They couldn't find my phone in there database. (I bought the iPhone from a guy on craiglist, but I had to replace the iPhone at an local apple store because it had problems). So do you think they will unlock it?

Supraking

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2010
I have found a direct link for all of those who do not wish to call AT&T. In all truth this is a backdoor to their chat technical support. It works because AT&T does not use a in house hosted chat so all it takes is a crafty tweak to the liveperson url (a well known live chat support external hosted service).

You may be waiting for a 20-30 mins but it beats calling right?

The url is: https://sales.liveperson.net/hc/518...=WirelessSupportChat&SESSIONVAR!Section=MyATT

and I wrote about my experience here: http://geekmeans.com/so-you-want-to-unlock-your-att-iphone
Thanks.
I went to that link, chatted with a representative, and 10 minutes later I got an email from AT&T telling me that my iPhone is eligible for unlocked. I don't have any AT&T account and have never been a customer of AT&T. I restored to 5.1 and my T-Mobile SIM card started working but never received the unlock message on iTunes. Now downgraded back to iOS 5.0.1 for untethered jailbreak.
IMG_0001.PNG

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
florida
I got it done on my 64GB 4S a few hours ago. I originally submitted an unlock yesterday but it didn't seem to go through. I resubmitted today, and it came instantly.

so were you on contract or what cause i have 6 different 4s units in my family that I'm trying to unlock and i always get the run around n my entire account is off contract

jokemjokester

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2009
so were you on contract or what cause i have 6 different 4s units in my family that I'm trying to unlock and i always get the run around n my entire account is off contract

I would like to know also. I bought my 4S from Craigslist and it seems like the guy I bought it from was going to pay the ETF. I wonder if my phone qualifies :D

Holoshed

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2011
North Carolina
Im glad I could help you guys out. I was happy they don't host their own chat service like Sprint does. Makes it so much easier.

In general I hate calling if I don't have to and the chat seems pretty quick.

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
Thanks.
I went to that link, chatted with a representative, and 10 minutes later I got an email from AT&T telling me that my iPhone is eligible for unlocked. I don't have any AT&T account and have never been a customer of AT&T. I restored to 5.1 and my T-Mobile SIM card started working but never received the unlock message on iTunes. Now downgraded back to iOS 5.0.1 for untethered jailbreak.
View attachment 335373

what number did u write in order to chat? did u tell them that u dont have an account or u r not an AT&T customer?

i chatted with the representative she said my iphone isnt eligible for unlock. she said that it has no sim. i dont understand what does she mean by that? can any one help me in that? i told her that i bought my iPhone from ebay! all she said was ur fone isnt eligible for unlock. it is not associated with AT&T.

Holoshed

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2011
North Carolina
what number did u write in order to chat? did u tell them that u dont have an account or u r not an AT&T customer?

i chatted with the representative she said my iphone isnt eligible for unlock. she said that it has no sim. i dont understand what does she mean by that? can any one help me in that? i told her that i bought my iPhone from ebay! all she said was ur fone isnt eligible for unlock. it is not associated with AT&T.

TrY again, use fake number, say you bought phone used, say you don't know original owner info if asked.

Don't listen to one dumb rep, if 5 in a row say same thing then ok.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Do you have an account with at&t?

I called in few days ago, rep told to wait till 4/16 for the case thing that some people have. I don't have an account nor ever had one with AT&T. I called in to get my 3GS unlocked. They couldn't find my phone in there database. (I bought the iPhone from a guy on craiglist, but I had to replace the iPhone at an local apple store because it had problems). So do you think they will unlock it?

Yes I have an account with AT&T.

Apple won't unlock the phone, you will have to call AT&T. Also if you know or still can contact your seller, give him/her a call and if he is nice enough he may request an unlock and that is if he is the original owner of that device and has at&t account.

----------

Thanks.
View attachment 335373

Well it can take a while, the representative I talked to submitted the form while I was chatting with him/her, and told me that it will take couple of hours. So 3 hours after I called, my phone was unlocked and is on tmobile prepaid.

----------

If the phone was currently on contract, AT&T will not unlock it. If you purchased it off contract, you should be able to unlock it.

----------

Are you sure you purchased an iPhone from ebay that specifically stated it is for AT&T only?

----------

Im glad I could help you guys out. I was happy they don't host their own chat service like Sprint does. Makes it so much easier.

In general I hate calling if I don't have to and the chat seems pretty quick.

Same here I hate calling, every time I call someone that I don't know, I always get anxious/nervous and I can barely speak and with loss of words.

jekyoo

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Chicago
If you desperate to get your iPhone unlocked, keep trying. I was denied by AT&T twice saying that it wasn't eligible since it was apparently associated with the previous owners account. I gave it another shot and the rep immediately processed my unlock after I gave her the IMEI, no questions asked. 2 minutes after the chat, I got an email with the PDF attachment saying that "We have reviewed your request and confirmed that you are eligible to have the requested iPhone unlocked."

It seems like it's really up to the rep on whether or not they want to unlock your iPhone or not. Some are definitely stricter than others.

yrchern

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2007
Tried Monday morning and the lady who chatted with me online lied to me, I didn't even get an email or case number. So I tried Wednesday again at noon and this time I got a case number and My 3GS was unlocked in the evening. But I did not receive any email about this though.

Ajones330

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
SEC Country
I got mine unlocked Tuesday, took about 40 minutes being on the phone because I have a iPhone 4 that was replaced by Apple this past Nov. They tried to say I wasn't eligible but they contacted Apple and verified I was out of contract with the original. I am jailbroken as well and kept the untether using redsn0w to deactivate my phone so I wouldn't have to restore.:D

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
florida
Limiting number of phones that can be unlocked?

I have 6 phones on my account and 4 other iphones older ones 3g 3gs and 4 sitting around but they said you can only do 4 a year? what kind of crap is that? what do they care?

Trixs

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2008
They told me mine is not eligible because it is an AT & T company owned device.

Does this mean the guy I bought it from stole it from his company or something? The rep wasn't exactly clear about it. He just said: 'You're not even supposed to have it'.

Kind of ****** :/

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
[/COLOR]

Are you sure you purchased an iPhone from ebay that specifically stated it is for AT&T only?

----------

yeah man its model is MC 318LL which clearly shows its AT&T!

----------

TrY again, use fake number, say you bought phone used, say you don't know original owner info if asked.

Don't listen to one dumb rep, if 5 in a row say same thing then ok.

gonna try again right now! i hope i succeed!

jokemjokester

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2009
to those WITHOUT an ATT account, what info are you putting in at the beginning of the chat that is require i.e., account number, phone number etc...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.