Anybody get OWC Firmware updater to work?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by steffi, Sep 1, 2011.

1. steffi macrumors 6502a

I got an error 310A13F0 Update Failed

Sorry, unable to find a firmware for your drive.

2. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

3. tsmiller macrumors newbie

Yes, it worked on my 120GB Extreme Pro SSD.

Had trouble downloading the iso image, but finally got it this morning.

4. steffi thread starter macrumors 6502a

My 2010 hexacore is listed as supported

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It looks like a Ubuntu boot DVD, and will be limited by what chipsets the Ubuntu dist. supports. Other vendors are having the same issues getting Ubuntu boot images to work with SandyBridge chipsets like in the 2011 Macs.

6. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

I usually clone my drive to a backup and run the updater off a windows drive or Linux boot cd.

7. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Why are you flashing? I have not had any issues with my OWC's. I don't flash unless I have issues.

8. steffi thread starter macrumors 6502a

When it starts it pops up a panel saying

Sorry, the firmware file appears to be damaged.

It's done this with two separate images so far.

9. Atroz macrumors member

Make sure you get the full 750 Meg download. I had to try 3 times to get a clean download.

10. tarizo41 macrumors newbie

Hello
    I'm trying to update the firmware via bootcamp and the process ends fine, no errors, but the version of firmware does not change. I have a macpro 4.1 What is the matter?
    a greeting

11. stiwi macrumors regular

Be careful with this update. I didn't read well and after reading few posts on Macrumors forum regarding this I went ahead and upgraded OWC SSD 120GB in my Mac Pro 5,1. Problem is that some users on this forum are writing misleading informations regarding "sleep" issued being fixed. In fact you can't force your Mac to hibernate without installing any extra software.

The firmware update fix hibernation issue and not sleep issue. I was surprised because I have never heard before about hibernation on Macs, so I simply thought it's regarding sleep issue.

For the sleep issue to get fixed, you have to physically send SSD to OWC to have this fixed. Sleep (wake up -> freeze) issue is easy to reproduce:
    1. Set computer sleep in energy saving preferences to 1min
    2. Wait until it fall asleep
    3. Wake it after few minutes
    4. You can't do / click anything as the system is frozen.

The sleep issue is only caused when system force the disk to sleep automatically. If you set "computer sleep" setting to never and will always "sleep" your mac manually, it works properly.

The only thing I have noticed after firmware update is that now my Mac Pro won't go sleep automatically. But what's worse I have noticed 10% speed drop while testing on 4GB while few times (using AJA System Test) before and after the firmware upgrade.

12. lssmit02 macrumors 6502

I had to send my OWC SSD drive back. I got so far as having the drive recognize by the software on the boot DVD, but then no joy.

13. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Farther than I got. Not even on the bus for me. Still in OS X though. Even if your machine is supported and there is a newer firmware build number available you may not need or require a firmware update for your drive and the updater will say not available, just fyi.