Anybody getting AppleCare+ for the AW3 aluminum?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Luba, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Luba macrumors 65816

Luba

I'm getting the 42mm non-LTE AW3 aluminum at $360 and AppleCare+ is $49, which over 10% of the cost of the AW. Can't decide to get it or not. I doubt AppleCare+ would cover a scratched screen.

I usually get AppleCare+ if I think I'll sell it later, as I think it's difficult to sell without it. But I'm guessing after a year the AW3 will be worth 50% ($180) and may not be worth the hassle to sell. If I don't plan to sell, I'd save $49, and just rely on Apple's 1 year warranty.

2. KrisLord macrumors 65832

In the UK it’s £59 and then 49 excess if you use it.....

That’s the same price whether it’s a series 1 or steel model, which is annoying.

Therefore I don’t think it’s worth insuring the aluminium models unless your particularly clumsy.

3. mk313 macrumors 6502a

I bought apple care on my series 2 Nike watch. I wasn't sure if I'd need it or not, and wanted to play it safe (as I'd heard a lot about how easily the glass scratches, etc. After having it now for about 9 months, it looks like new. Next time around, I will definitely not buy Apple care. YMMV, obviously, and the $49 does buy peace of mind, but the watch, in my experience, has been much more resilient than I thought it would be.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 21, 2017 ---
    Also, I believe you can get a prorated refund on the apple care if you don't use it, so if you sell it in a year, you can get back $24.50. I know you can do it on iPhones, and I think it's good on watches too, but not 100% certain.

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

All depends on the individual.

My gray AW2 Nike+ has a couple marks on the aluminum as well as a visible mark on the upper rounded edge of the screen. Even though I usually toss on a TPU case when doing projects around the house, there's the occasional bang-into-the-doorway incident which is why I bought AC+.

Thought I have an AW3 Nike+ on order, I remain undecided on cancelling it or not. Eager to see folks initial reports over the next couple of weeks.

5. mk313 macrumors 6502a

Yah, I completely agree. Maybe my point wasn't clear, but I'm glad I bought it the first time around, as you don't know how it will hold up, but I wouldn't buy it going forward, seeing how well the watch has held up (to my specific use case).

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

Yep. Not a single thing wrong with that. I've never bought AC or insurance on phones and have never needed it either in the twenty years I've owned phones. A couple times they've had a few scratches, but as I usually have held onto a phone two years and often passed it down in the family it's been all good.

Unfortunately some folks here on MR can't see past their own use case and make general declarations for all. :)

7. sahilpatel12 macrumors 6502a

sahilpatel12

I bought it with s0 2015 and glad i did bought. No warranty claims but express replacement was worth it. Anytime I had issues with watch like I had glass separating from case they overnighted me a new watch and then mail it my old one. Other times when I accidentally bricked my watch they also overnighted it .

They even overnighted chargers and band as AppleCare covers bands and everything.

In span of 3 years of Apple Watch I have went thru 3-4 replacements as I had issues with watches ( perks of first gen adapters ) glass separating, watch overheating while charging.

Out of those replacement I think 1 or 2 had small dings on screeen ( nothing major just minor very minor scratch) can only tell if looking for them.

They didn’t charge anything for it.