Anybody good at interior decorating?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tkepongo, Jul 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tkepongo macrumors regular

tkepongo

I'm moving into a different room in my fraternity next week and I was thinking:

Scarlett Red Walls
    White Trim
    White Ceiling
    Black Furniture-coffee table, desk, tv stand (to match my hdtv and speakers)
    Chantalle Oak Hardwood Floor (comes with the room)

Now, what kind of art/photographs would go good on the walls? Should I add more variety of colors to the room? I'm aiming for a modern/classy look. Got sick and tired of the Drinking/College Partying theme rooms

2. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

ye gods. living in a room like that will drive you nuts in a week.

red walls are nice , but in a room where you wont be most of your current life.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't know much about frats, but isn't that going to look a bit high-brow in a frat-house? :confused:

4. tkepongo thread starter macrumors regular

tkepongo

what would you suggest? i really don't want a party theme room. it's lame and overused. that's why i want a modern looking room

5. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

Why not keep the walls a neutral color, like a light brown, it'll work with the black furniture. Just think, when you move out, you normally have to paint it back to white so a dark color will be a pain in the ass to cover up

Behr is a good place to start, you can mix up the colors and see how you like them

6. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

In my last university house (ie before I moved somewhere nice) the people beforehand had painted my bedroom red. It was hideous. It sounds alright in theory but it sucks all of the light out of the room. It's not a nice place to spend your time. It wasn't helped by the dark flooring either. You'll soon want to paint it beige.

In my current flat my walls are all white. The colour comes from ornaments and paintings etc. I think that's a good look. I have light coloured carpets too, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you are really anal about taking your shoes off.

7. JurgenWigg macrumors 6502

JurgenWigg

do some research on colors - the color of a room actually has quite an effect on your psychology. Red will make you more agitated and aggressive.

Go for a softer color. Maybe just even white and like the above poster said, everything else do the color. Get a tapestry to hang, it'll look more interesting than just paint, and it will add a lot of color too. get some paintings that go well with each other, remember the color wheel!

Right now I have a sort of green, wheat, blue color scheme, kind of a zen deal, but you just need to tie the colors in with other things in the room. I have curtains that go well with a painting, bedding that goes with a tapestry, throw rugs that go with some other fatigued frames that I made and other furniture.

If you're set on having red walls and black furniture, maybe have a red and black comforter or sheet set too. For wall decor: some kinds of blues will look good in that room, as would gold or other yellows.

8. Keebler macrumors 68030

how times have changed. nice to see someone putting thought into it (that's a compliment).

I used to visit the local video store and grab all the free movie posters, or pay little for them, and decorate :) lol

9. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

Have to agree that the red walls will create an aggressive atmosphere. It is a very angry colour. Suggest something neutral for the walls and bring in colour with accessories and lighting and art. That way the colour is also easier to change out and transport to a new location later. Post a pic when you're done...

10. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

go with a tope color. brown or even flat grey.

grey walls
    black furniture
    wood tones
    and you can add any color you want in your pictures or stuff. ( but not to many ..3 max)

just my .02

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.