Anybody good with IT? Help plz

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tkepongo, Jul 27, 2008.

1. tkepongo macrumors regular

tkepongo

I didn't know what subforum to post this in...but hopefully you guys can help. So I had to reset my wireless router because it wasn't connecting to the internet. My wireless router goes to a switch, which goes to the modem (that's how our internet is set up in the fraternity). Here are the ip addresses

My router: 192.168.2.1
    Modem (gateway): 10.1.10.1

When the switch is on, I have access to the internet but I can't access my router (192.168.2.1), meaning I can't configure my router and my xbox 360 goes straight to the modem (10.1.10.1). This limits my xbox's connectivity because of the closed ports and whatnot. I also can't open ports up for my laptop if this happens.

However, when the switch is off I can access my router, and my xbox connects to the router...but with no internet connection. This never happened to me before. Usually I can access my router when the switch is on with internet but it's all messed up today. Can anybody help?

2. operator207 macrumors 6502

Whatever is on the other side of this "switch" is using the same IP as your wireless router.

Move it to another IP range (192.168.3.1 maybe) The reason I put "switch" is quotes, is because it could be a router with ports.

Try moving to another IP range, or setting up your wireless router as an AP only, and allowing the router at the other end to give you IPs for your devices.

3. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

What brand and model switch is it?

I've found with setups like this, sometimes, various brands just are not going to play nicely together...

4. Queso macrumors G4

Sounds like it's a layer 3 switch, possibly with DHCP server capability configured.

For the switch being both on and off, do some traceroute commands in the Terminal (traceroute 10.1.10.1) and post the results. That ought to give us a better idea of what's happening at the network layer.

5. tkepongo thread starter macrumors regular

tkepongo

How would I do that? I can use both mac and pc if any of them is easier.

6. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Open up the Terminal application located in Applications > Utilities. When the white window opens up, type in "traceroute 10.1.10.1" and then just copy & paste the results.

7. huberm macrumors newbie

your gateway address should not be the modem. With it set like this, all packets are sent to your modem first. All it does is pass the packets on - in this case, the modem sends off your packets for 192.168.2.1 (your router).

Set your default gateway to the router. The router will examine all the packets and forward them as necessary.