Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. MacBook

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2007
According to OWC, MacBooks can adress 3GB of RAM, but apple wont customize it because unbalanced RAM=poor GPU and no dual-channel performance.

Anybody actually HAVE 3GB in MacBook?

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
that's interesting because Apple's website doesn't even mention a 3GB option. even if they don't recommend it, i'd think they'd at least show it as an option. i wonder if OWC has their facts straight.

Mr. MacBook

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2007
Apple doesen't offer this option because they tell you the MacBook is bad without dual-channel.

Bs.

wkw

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2004
Eugene, OR
yes the c2d macbooks can use it. people who get it generally notice an improvement in performance. apparently the performance hit by not running a matched set is more than offset by performance increase from running extra gig of memory. I am too lazy to search but there are a few threads about this topic.

tekmate

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2004
yes the c2d macbooks can use it. people who get it generally notice an improvement in performance. apparently the performance hit by not running a matched set is more than offset by performance increase from running extra gig of memory. I am too lazy to search but there are a few threads about this topic.

I'm surprised because I know on my PC the opposite is true the system performs better with dual channel rather than more RAM. I am a moderate user in that I usually have about 5 to 15 programs open at a time and I do some 3D stuff as a hobby. I can't say on the Mac as I am still running a G4 so the newer systems may make a difference.

pip11

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2005
Something that isn't widely known about the Intel 'Books is that the Intel RAM controller is actually able to run in dual-channel mode without needing matched pairs. This Intel whitepaper describes how it works--basically, it can run in dual-channel up to the smaller of the two sticks. Thus, if you were had a 2GB and a 1GB stick, the first 1GB of memory would be accessed at dual-channel speed.

Just as a side note, while documents like that whitepaper show that the MacBooks should be operating like this, we really don't know. Extensive testing would really be the only way to find out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.