Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yggbert

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
I just noticed one on mine. It's so minor that it could have been there out of the box and I just didn't notice. It's on the silver border/bezel at the very bottom, you can only see if it you look for it and have it under a certain light/angle so I don't really care. It's a really small blemish, not a deep scratch by any means.

I considered taking it back, but I don't want to risk getting one with dead pixels, yellow screen or backlight bleeding as my current one has a perfect screen in every way. Decided to calm my OCD and now I don't notice it. :)

Hopefully my case from Maroo arrives soon, don't want to get any more scratches on it just in case I do sell it on next year.

Yggbert

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
Not yet, but I'm sure I will get a few around the area that I plug in the charger.

I can see that happening too, it's a little harder to get the cable in than I anticipated, I remember my old iPhone being much looser.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
I used it like a frisbee in my front yard. All was well until my dog got hold of it. Now I have a scratch about 1/4 of a mm on the back right below the apple logo. You have to let it get really hot and then cover it with the fingerprint dust that police use and let it cool off with the dust on there to see it.

p*sses me off too... It was PERFECT before this. :mad:

considering ebaying it and just getting a new one.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
That first scratch...just like the first scratch on a new car...is a killer...
That's why I went immediately to have the PS Crystal Film applied and kept it in a velveteen drawstring back until I got my Versavu case later that day.

JesseW6889

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2010
I just noticed one on mine. It's so minor that it could have been there out of the box and I just didn't notice. It's on the silver border/bezel at the very bottom, you can only see if it you look for it and have it under a certain light/angle so I don't really care. It's a really small blemish, not a deep scratch by any means.

I considered taking it back, but I don't want to risk getting one with dead pixels, yellow screen or backlight bleeding as my current one has a perfect screen in every way. Decided to calm my OCD and now I don't notice it. :)

Hopefully my case from Maroo arrives soon, don't want to get any more scratches on it just in case I do sell it on next year.

YES! I noticed mine IMMEDIATELY upon opening it. I have 3 very small, but very pronounced 'nicks' on the outside edge (bezel?) as well as 2 nicks on the inside edge (next to the black rubber ring).

I've had 5 separate iPad 1's and 2's and NEVER had this issue before... I am worried about the same thing as you though, otherwise, this thing works great.

Thats not entirely true, I had some wifi issues while at school, but I'm hoping that is the school and not the iPad like some are reporting, but it wasn't an issue for my 1's or 2's...

Monsoonmalabard

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2011
I used it like a frisbee in my front yard. All was well until my dog got hold of it. Now I have a scratch about 1/4 of a mm on the back right below the apple logo. You have to let it get really hot and then cover it with the fingerprint dust that police use and let it cool off with the dust on there to see it.

p*sses me off too... It was PERFECT before this. :mad:

considering ebaying it and just getting a new one.

This.

iphone4sATT

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
scratches

Mine has a scratch/ding on the aluminum edge on the bottom left of the home button and several dents on the right side. I took pics when I opened it right out of the box. I was going to exchange it since I see these imperfections every time I pick up the device. Any sort of quality control should have caught this.

My wife tells me I am being OCD. For now, I am keeping it since the screen has no dead pixels or bleed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.