Anybody got an Alum iMac icon with *Leopard* desktop?

RumMunkey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2006
Canada
Hey, I'm trying to find a replacement desktop icon for my Aluminum iMac.

I have no problem finding some very decent icons of the iMac, but they all have the blue Tiger wallpaper.

I was hoping to find something with the Leopard "Cosmos" wallpaper.

Anybody got one they'd like to share?

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Hey, I'm trying to find a replacement desktop icon for my Aluminum iMac.

I have no problem finding some very decent icons of the iMac, but they all have the blue Tiger wallpaper.

I was hoping to find something with the Leopard "Cosmos" wallpaper.

Anybody got one they'd like to share?
Taken right from the Leopard OS itself:

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
That iMac icon is in Leopard itself? How do I extract it so I can use it as a normal .icns file?
Go into System\Library\CoreServices\CoreTypes.bundle (show contents)

and you'll see a lot of 512/512 icons and if you open one you'll see (in preview) all the size icons then just nab the one you want.

mmendoza27

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2007
I did this on my old Tiger MacBook Pro... but I'm wondering, when you replace the original HD icon, where does that reside? For instance, if I were to replace the HD icon right now, what if I wanted to put it back to normal?

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Go into System\Library\CoreServices\CoreTypes.bundle (show contents)

and you'll see a lot of 512/512 icons and if you open one you'll see (in preview) all the size icons then just nab the one you want.

Cool, thanks. I'm surprised they didn't use the new Leopard wallpaper by default, though.

stewacide

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2002
strange that the new 'desktop' icon (as seen in the Finder sidebar, although very tiny there) does show the Aurora background (and also the new-style Dock)

stellarceltic

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2007
Any chance to get higher quality versions? thanks a lot btw
The program I've been using to convert the ICNS to PNG seems to max out at 128x128. If you can either find the high quality PNG or a better program, I can help you out.

cornerdealy

macrumors regular
May 30, 2006
maybe I'm stupid, but how do you apply these icons? I try the get info way, but it just shows the .icns file

RumMunkey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2006
Canada
maybe I'm stupid, but how do you apply these icons? I try the get info way, but it just shows the .icns file

Right-click on your "Macintosh HD" (or whatever you've renamed it) and take "Get Info". Leave this wondow open and we'll come back to it in a sec.

Do the right-click / get info thing on your "whatever.icns" file as well.

On the "Get Info" window of the icon you want to set as the new one click the little preview immediately to the left of the file name. Click it just once and look closely for the blue halo that surrounds it. It might be hard to see.

Here's a pic to help:

So, you're clicking that little preview-icon where my cursor is, right? OK...

When it's selected, cmd+c. This copies the icon to your clipboard.

Now, back in the Get Info window for the Mac HD, click once to highlight (blue halo looking thing) the icon in the same place.

Now cmd+v. It will paste the icon you copied.

Close both windows. You now have a single custom icon.

There are apps, btw to replace ALL icons, but me I just want the HD icon to look like, you know... the computer it's on. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.