Anybody got an iMac G3?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by vUndefined, Feb 1, 2012.

1. vUndefined macrumors newbie

vUndefined

Hi! I'm pretty new so this might not be the right section and don't take it out on me... But does anyone have a spare iMac G3 broken or working that they need to get rid of? I am in desperate need of a Mac that can run Classic for my new job. I'll gladly pay most any shipping and any price for the Mac itself. (please reasonable, not going to blow $200 on a 10 year old Mac...)

Thanks!

-Nick

2. MAC MAN JW macrumors 6502

MAC MAN JW

If i wear you i would get a PowerMac G4 Like the 400MHz Sawtooth or the Dual 500Mhz Gigabit Ethernet Model. I love the look of the iMac g3 but they are not good for everyday use any more being the CRT Screen Will not last much longer on a 10+ year old computer. The lower-end G4's will last alot Longer with every day use and will be faster. they go for $10-$50 on ebay and can natively boot OS 9 Just like the iMac G3's As long as it is not a FireWire 800 MirrorDriveDoor G4:)

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I'd take a look at craigslist for your area. There's always someone there who has no clue what they have and part with good Macs for $30-$150 or so. There was a guy in my area a few months ago that ran an ad for several weeks trying to get rid of 3 old green iMacs for $50 (total for all three, not $50 each). No idea if he sold them (haven't checked lately), but that's just one example.

4. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

I'd vote for Craigslist.

My local ads are full of G3 iMacs for $40 or less.

I also recommend getting AT LEAST a G4.

I've got a 350mhz G3 and it is pretty weak. Programs from its time are fine, but modern webpages have too much flash and javascript to render well (or at all).

I just bought a G4 iMac 800mhz for $50. It handles the web just fine, until I try to watch a flash video.

I see people selling G5 PowerMacs for $125.

Question for you:
    Do you need to boot into OS9 or just run classic programs?

5. Davy.Shalom macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

If you're going to go powerpc get a G4 or a 2.3 dual core G5. Best reliability.
    My advice: don't invest too much in old technology.
    However, I do understand nostalgia and such. Function is another factor as well. I love my 12" powerbook so much, and I'm typing this on it right now.

I got my G3 snow edition 600mhz for 25 bucks off craigslist. It's just part of my collection.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

They are still useful. I have a PowerPC 7200 at work (I work for a weekly community newspaper) that I use as an Applescript server. It's running OS9.2 with 48mb of ram and a 4GB hard drive.

I use it to move files around (mainly proofs from us to Advertising and email attachments from Advertising to us). It also moves pages from Editorial to us. I've got a folder action script that calls Graphic Converter to process all of our editorial photos. Way back when it was also calling Acrobat 5 with a folder action script to open editorial PDFs and save out EPS files (silently in the background).

It's not fast, but it saves me a couple of hours a week because it's automated (and therefore I can be doing other things). I should be getting Classifieds G4/400 this next week which has Panther on it. Looking forward to some increased speed when I replace the 7200 with the G4.

7. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

8. vUndefined thread starter macrumors newbie

vUndefined

Wow thanks for all your help guys! I will take some time looking into Craiglist and I already see some ridiculous offers for iMac G3's. I will also take some time looking into the iMac G4 and iBook. Thanks again!!

-Nick

9. Rangerjim macrumors newbie

g3

I picked up a bondi blue imac g3 at the dump for nothing. Brought it home and would boot up fine into os 9. I threw 10.2 and some ram I had laying around and the thing works great for my kids.