Anybody got any MIDI software from the mid-late 80's?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by tevion5, Apr 11, 2014.

1. tevion5, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014

tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

I want to get a copy of something like MOTU Performer 1.2.1 or and early Opcode sequencer.

Any of these:
    MIDIMAC (sequencer) by opcode systems
    TOTAL MUSIC (sequencer) by southworth music systems
    MEGA TRACK (sequencer) by musicworks
    MIDI COMPOSER (sequencer) by Assimilation
    STUDIO MAC (sequencer) by creative solutions
    DELUXE MUSIC CONSTRUCTION SET (sequencer) by electronic arts
    CONCERTWARE PLUS (sequencer) by passport designs
    MUSICWORKS (sequencer) by macromind inc
    PERFORMER (sequencer) by mark of the unicorn

I have been searching for some time but can't find old enough versions of ANY of them. I am aware of the experimental 1.1 version of MusicWorks with midi support but that just crashes for me on all my 512Ke, Classic II and Power Mac 8600.

All the major midi pioneering software seem to be all but lost. I think this is really sad. I am in the process of trying to get in contact with the folk at the present day MOTU to see if they could point me to some archives.

My 512Ke runs MusicWorks but that lacks MIDI support. I have a MACMAN MIDIMAN interface hooked up to it but no software to run it :(

Anybody learned anything I haven't found yet?

The 68K army guys discussed a similar issue here:
    https://68kmla.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1094

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Here's an old newsletter from TidBITS dated Sep-93 with a few more programs:

http://cara.gsu.edu/courses/MIDI/midimac.html

And here are some reviews:

http://www.umich.edu/~archive/mac/misc/documentation/midisoftwareforthemac.txt

Have a dig around and see if you can find any archives. I know these are from the 90's, but you might get lucky.

I just think that some of these programs were way out of price reach for the average person and were limited to studios. I studied audio engineering my first year of college, and even they talked about how most of them do lots and lots of upgrades to keep up with the music industry.

3. tevion5 thread starter macrumors 68000

tevion5

Those are some excellent resources, thanks Jessica :)

I see what you mean by out of reach, MOTU performer was almost $500! That's on par with a full studio version of ProTools 11 today! Certainly not consumer grade stuff alright.

4. harrymatic macrumors 6502

5. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

You're welcome.

And aswell as what harrymatic said, when you're Googling, go into Search Tools, and then click Any time, then Custom range... It's old software, so you want to look at old cached pages. You might use the Wayback Machine too. Of course a lot of these pages might contain dead links and such, but a lot of stuff is still archived somewhere.

6. tevion5, Apr 15, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014

tevion5 thread starter macrumors 68000

tevion5

Okay, I'll try asking people there. Their forum is just a hell of a lot more cluttered than ours. Even when you search for software, random threads are scattered in the results! What a mess :p

Traxs does look interesting, I haven't seen it before. I'm not sure if a 512Ke could handle such a heavy app though...nevertheless I'll give it a go :)