Anybody had a dead pixel show up weeks after getting MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CoolMacDude, Nov 6, 2008.

1. CoolMacDude macrumors regular

I ordered my new MBP after the keynote when they were released and received it the following week. I ended up exchanging it because I had problems. I've been using the one I currently have for 2 weeks and I thoroughly checked the screen when I got it. I was in class this morning and noticed it was really hot running windows in Parrallels. As I went to shut it down I see a spec on a folder I have on the desktop. I look and its not a spec but a dead pixel. :( I talked to Apple and they said no problem on the exchange even though I'm on like day 14 they set it up. I'm just curious why I would have a problem this long after getting the unit.

BTW the keys on this unit are just as crooked as the first unit I had and the finish is inconsistent on the trackpad. Its so thin you can see through the finish and light reflects off one portion.

I'm almost tempted to just return and buy a 2.6 17". I love the computer but I've had nothing but problems with both of the new ones. I had 0 problems with my older MBP's other than 1 hardware failure on a 2 year old unit that was replaced under applecare.

2. brentsg macrumors 68030

That's how the finish is on my speaker grills. It's so thin in spots that you can basically see bare metal. Straight on it's not bad, but from an angle (ie how you see it when you use it) it's super shiny silver. But it's splotchy based on how it got coated.

I have a couple of keys that are slightly crooked too.

My issue is that I'd hate to swap it for one that ends up with more significant defects.

3. CoolMacDude thread starter macrumors regular

Thats what I did. I had one with crooked keys and a pit in the aluminum and I swapped it for one with crooked keys, a pit in the aluminum (in a less obvious place), and a dead pixel. So I'm going for number 3. They didn't give me any hassle at all so I guess we'll see. If I have similar problems with the 3rd I don't know what to do.