Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hello, anybody have both MBP2018 and Lenovo Thinkpad X1/T laptops? Given the thermal and possibly keyboard issues across the entire line of MBP2018, is it better to go for Lenovo?

cwanja

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Texas
We issue T460s and T470s at work. I have a Yoga 360 and they are all garbage. The fans kick in on these things just idling. Not sure the specific specs you have, but I would steer clear of them unless your work issues you one.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
We issue T460s and T470s at work. I have a Yoga 360 and they are all garbage. The fans kick in on these things just idling. Not sure the specific specs you have, but I would steer clear of them unless your work issues you one.

So even the mbp2018 is bad, the Lenovo’s are even worse? At least they have a keyboard that has proven to be issue free. We don’t know about the 3rd gen mbp keyboard yet.

bearda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2005
Roanoke, VA
I have a 6th gen X1 Carbon and have only had the fan come on noticeably a handful of times They were all under high load. I don't have a MBP2018, but I do have a 2017 and the butterfly keyboard is the reason I use the X1 Carbon when I'm away from my desk.

cwanja

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Texas
So even the mbp2018 is bad, the Lenovo’s are even worse? At least they have a keyboard that has proven to be issue free. We don’t know about the 3rd gen mbp keyboard yet.
In my opinion, yes. Now, it could be that our company issued machines come with bloatware for corporate / enterprise oversight. I will say that I love the Lenovo keyboard and do not have any experience with the generation 1, 2, or 3 butterfly keyboards that Apple introduced.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Seems like you potentially are not doing your work properly - OR - you've got a few machines that are lemons and need to have warranty support. I too worked for 2 companies (both in Mining) and deployed:
ThinkPad T450s
ThinkPad T460s
ThinkPad T470s
ThinkPad X1 Carbon 3rd, 4th, and 5th generations.

NONE have kicked up fans while being idle! Why?
Because we didn't just install Windows 7/10 and then deployed, we ensured all chipset drivers were up to date, REMOVING the Lenovo One driver which causes HUGE CPU spikes, freezing of any/all applications.

So I recommend in your workplace to:
download and install Lenovo System Update.
Install ONLY the drivers related to the hardware:
BIOS, chipset, and components (USB, SD Card Reader, Dock/TB3 Dock).
Remove any other drivers related to software ... ESPECIALLY LENOVO's other that System Update.
Ensure System Update does NOT automatically check for and download drivers; since of course most environments require local admin or domain admin rights.

Now back to the conversation folks.

Sackofnickels

Suspended
Jul 13, 2018

I have a producer friend that went from Mac with FCP to Lenovo with Premiere. His videos look flawless. Just saying...

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

We are extremely surprised by the supposedly bad efficiency of the Coffee Lake-U processor. We tested the Kaby Lake-R quad-cores extensively over the last couple of months, because they are shipped in almost every subnotebook. The standard Core i5-8250U in the ThinkPad T480s is a good example, because the performance is only limited by the temperature (similar to the MBP 13). It runs at a steady clock of 3.4 GHz at a consumption of about 30W (so even a bit less than the new MBP 13) and scores more than 700 points, so it is 20% faster (!). The high consumption of 48-49W at the full 3.6 GHz is strange as well when we compare it with Kaby Lake-R. The Core i7-8550U, which reaches up to 3.7 GHz for all four cores (100 MHz more than our MBP 13) "only" consumes 41-43 Watts.

We will investigate further, but it seems Coffee Lake-U is just not as efficient as Kaby Lake-R. This is obviously not just Apple's problem, but Intel is to blame as well. This begs the question why the new 28W models are not based on Kaby Lake-R. All in all, the new MacBook Pro 13 is faster than the old previous 2017 model, but some Windows devices are faster with supposedly slower CPUs. The advantage of the optional Core i7 should be very small, and it might even be slower than the i5 due to higher temperatures (especially under sustained workloads

That's the main take away!

Still I'm VERY happy with the MBP results and feel that over time it'll stand out a lot more.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland

I'm writing this on a work-issued T460s and the fans aren't kicking in unless I'm really pushing the computer, so it sounds like there might be something funky in your workplace image. I've been considering getting myself an L380 Yoga, but I'll wait and see what the rumored MacBook Air replacement has in it first.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sackofnickels

radus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2009
I am happy with both the 2018 Macbook Pro 15" and the Thinkpad X1 Yoga 3. Gen. i7 4Core.
The Keyboard is better on the Yoga.

cwanja

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Texas
It is entirely possible that our corporate image is botched. And I would not even put it passed us to do that. We typically wipe the machine and reimage it with a network image of our software. Then just allows for Windows updates to finish the rest. Now I also use Chrome on it and know that is a memory and battery hog. So that could contribute things as well.

Do not get me wrong, I do not think Lenovo’s are bad machines. Original poster was comparing it to MacBook Pros. And I am an Apple fanboy day after day.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
[QUOTE="cwanja, post: 26329665, member: 449409"
Do not get me wrong, I do not think Lenovo’s are bad machines. Original poster was comparing it to MacBook Pros. And I am an Apple fanboy day after day.[/QUOTE]

They're not bad devices, just the build quality has suffered since the initial switch over from the IBM days. Battery life is variable, we've not had much of a problem with the OS as we re-image with Win 7/10 and add driver packs based on the WMI model type.

Forum-User

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2009
While I haven't used a MBP2018 yet, I use a MBP2016 and Thinkpad X1 Carbon (both work-provided). The keyboard on the X1 is much better than the MBP2016/17 keyboards, yet I still prefer the MBP2015 keyboard by a long shot.

I've had some of the heat and fan issues that the original poster refers to on both laptops when under even lighter loads, so the question is valid. Unfortunately I don't have a good answer, as both laptops are negatively impacted by poor design choices. Professionals rarely care about laptop (or phone) thinness, as battery life and performance are way more important when there's a job to do.

As a side note, I also had the crackling speaker issue with the MBP2016 that some MBP2018 owners have recently reported.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.