All iPads anybody have an ipad mini and an ipad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by The Game 161, Sep 7, 2013.

1. The Game 161 macrumors G4

The Game 161

Just interested to see if you use both the mini and a full sized ipad.

if so why? do you use the mini for when out and about and use your normal sized ipad for home usage only?

2. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

iPad 4 is for at home & away. Web surfing, watching movies, games and some development work. Plus for older eyes.

Mini is for home & away. Mostly for my teenagers. Web surfing, watching movies, games.

3. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

We have a 3 and a mini. Hardly pick up the 3, just silly heavy and bulky. Hardly put the mini down. Only time it's reversed is when playing arcade games.

4. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I do. My daughter now has my iPad 2. For me the Mini is just the perfect size. I never considered the iPad big or heavy until I got the Mini. The fact it's cheaper will make my wife happy in the future.

5. JAT macrumors 603

Ah, a dreamer.

6. Tikatika macrumors 6502

Tikatika

I have a 3 and a Mini. The Mini goes with me when I leave the house. I also use it for reading in bed. I use the 3 for everything else at home.

I won't be upgrading either one of them for a good while. They serve me perfectly as is!

7. jhr3uva90 macrumors newbie

I have a three and a mini. I used the third generation every day at my previous job with a Logitech keyboard. It basically served as my note taking device during meetings because I did not have a company laptop/notebook. My mini is my commuter device because I have to ride on a train standing up for nearly 30 minutes.

My new job provides me with a laptop that I now take to meetings, but I still use the iPad generation 3 of occasional personal email and Facebook. The iPad is much more discrete for those types of uses.

I'm looking forward to Apple announcing new iPads. If the new iPad is much lighter/smaller and the new iPad mini has a retina display, then it might be a hard choice.

8. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

You think the Mini will go up in price to match the 10" model or that my wife won't be happy? :D

9. gully319 macrumors newbie

Ditto for me!

10. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I used to have both but I later found out that I only need one iPad. Although it's cool to alternate Pads every now and then. I now use my 4. I don't take mine out with me so that's why portability isn't an issue.

11. Donka macrumors 68020

I had the 4 then picked up a cheap mini. Used both for a while before selling the 4 a month ago in preparation for the new releases - wanted to ensure I got a good price for my sale. The mini is a great iPad but when I had both, I used the 4 exclusively at home and took the mini to work with me. Depending on what is announced in the next month or two I may go back to two iPads. I prefer the bigger screen for pretty much everything but the mini is a great travel companion. I may stick purely with a mini if the retina version drops.

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I have a 3 and a mini, the 3 is for home and I take the mini with me when I go out. I'm hoping the 5 will be light enough that I can go back to just having one iPad. Guess we'll find out -- if not tomorrow, then hopefully in October!

13. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G4

The Game 161

wouldn't you rather have one for at home and one for on the go? even if it's lighter carrying around a 9.7 inch tablet isn't easy.

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I strongly prefer the 9.7 inch screen. Not only is the larger screen easier to see, but the on-screen keyboard is easier to type on. And I have some bags that are big enough to fit the iPad 1-3, and until the mini came out, I used to carry the larger iPad wherever I go. When the mini came out, it was so much lighter that it convinced me to make it the to-go tablet, but if the iPad 5 is light enough, I'd prefer to carry that around. It all depends on the weight. When the 5 comes out, I'll carry it around for a few days and see how it goes, before deciding if I'll retire the mini or keep that as my on-the-go tablet.