Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Anybody have any issues when on the phone to somebody else? i can hear who i'm speaking to fine but the person on the other end of the line can barely hear me.

Anybody else have issues with that? Iphone 4 is a great piece of kit but want to know if anybody else has a problem like this or can the other person hear you great?

overall what do you think of the sound quailty of the phone compared to the 3G and 3gs?

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
I don't have an issue with this myself, but have read enough posts online to know that there are others with this problem.
As far as sound quality goes, for me and those I know with iPhone 4's, the sound quality is comparable to that of the 3g/s. Obviously, there are a lot of variables that seem to impact call clarity, but overall, I am satisfied with the quality of the calls.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I don't have an issue with this myself, but have read enough posts online to know that there are others with this problem.
As far as sound quality goes, for me and those I know with iPhone 4's, the sound quality is comparable to that of the 3g/s. Obviously, there are a lot of variables that seem to impact call clarity, but overall, I am satisfied with the quality of the calls.

So you don't need to hold the phone a certain way for the person on the other end of the line to hear you well then?

AKSenator

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2009
I had a problem where the noise canceling microphone failed and prevented anyone from hearing me while on phone calls. But the memo recorder and audio during video recording worked fine. After searching around about the problem it seemed like other people had similar issues.

Eventually I sent my phone in for a replacement as you can't really live with a phone that does not work as a phone.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I had a problem where the noise canceling microphone failed and prevented anyone from hearing me while on phone calls. But the memo recorder and audio during video recording worked fine. After searching around about the problem it seemed like other people had similar issues.

Eventually I sent my phone in for a replacement as you can't really live with a phone that does not work as a phone.

So your replacement works fine for calls now? I'm getting a replacement next week as the people I call just can't hear me I pray my new one works as I'm spending alot and I want people to hear me when I call

gimmeiphone

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2007
my call quality is horrendous, thats if i can make a call as i usually get call failed message around 5 times before it will go through, that and all calls made to me go straight to voicemail for the first 6-7 tries, also receive txts hours after they were sent and vice versa, so yes you could say iv had issues lol!

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
my call quality is horrendous, thats if i can make a call as i usually get call failed message around 5 times before it will go through, that and all calls made to me go straight to voicemail for the first 6-7 tries, also receive txts hours after they were sent and vice versa, so yes you could say iv had issues lol!

Wow...I've never had anything even close to that. Can't blame you for being upset by it.

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
Same problem with mine, but hey it's an iPhone 4 & thats just the way it is. My 3GS worked just fine. I just use my AT&T Android phone it works great.

Perhaps by the time Apple builds the next new model they'll take the phone seriously.

Cheers

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
Same problem with mine, but hey it's an iPhone 4 & thats just the way it is. My 3GS worked just fine. I just use my AT&T Android phone it works great.

Perhaps by the time Apple builds the next new model they'll take the phone seriously.

Cheers

What's so bizarre about this is that there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. It's not like the phones produced between x and y date, or at a certain factory are a problem. The entire situation seems totally random.

AKSenator

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2009
So your replacement works fine for calls now? I'm getting a replacement next week as the people I call just can't hear me I pray my new one works as I'm spending alot and I want people to hear me when I call

My replacement is a refurb, but looks like a brand new phone, and thankfully has none of the issues that people keep posting about. Phone calls seem to work fine now.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
I have the same problem as the OP. Sometimes it gets better after 10 seconds of not being able to hear me, other times the person who called me can't hear me at all. It's not even the antenna problem, it just can't make phone calls period. I don't know how to prove this to the Geniuses since it doesn't happen all the time.

Irish Rose

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I don't have any issues with calling on my iPhone 4 at all. It is very good in terms of call quality.

Irish Rose

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I don't have any issues with calling on my iPhone 4 at all. It is very good in terms of call quality.

Pink∆Floyd

macrumors 68020
Nov 21, 2009
Up There
Anybody have any issues when on the phone to somebody else? i can hear who i'm speaking to fine but the person on the other end of the line can barely hear me.

Anybody else have issues with that? Iphone 4 is a great piece of kit but want to know if anybody else has a problem like this or can the other person hear you great?

overall what do you think of the sound quailty of the phone compared to the 3G and 3gs?

There are no issues with the phone.

Sound quality is way better on the iPhone 4 than the previous generations.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area

Maybe it's time to try a new phone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.