Anybody have this niggling issue?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by ashio83, Jan 2, 2014.

1. ashio83, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014

ashio83 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Does anybody have this issue? When I drag anything from a finder window to the desktop it doesn't land where I drop it almost everytime it drops 2 or 3 places over to the left usually under all my windows, I then have to minimise them all to get to the files. All my desktop view settings are the same as they have been in all previous incarnations of OS X but this problem is rearing it's head now.

Running Mavericks 10.9.1

Cheers.

2. johndoe123abc macrumors member

I have this problem too, but it's not specific to Mavericks. It was there on Mountain Lion too, and maybe before (can't remember).

3. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

You don't have "Snap to Grid" checked in "Sort by" of the Finder's View Menu, do you?

4. ashio83 thread starter macrumors newbie

I do but it drops 2 to 3 spaces to the left even when I hover over the area for a few seconds it just drops where it wants to. As I said I haven't run into this issue before with the same settings. I know I'm moaning over something so small but it is a minor annoyance.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've noticed some minor issues, like the dragging/dropping thing but all in all I've found Mavericks to be very stable.

6. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

Are you using an odd icon size, or grid spacing (in desktop view options)?
    I use 48X48 icons, and max grid spacing, but some of the sizes/spacings can result in unexpected movements as the Finder tries to figure out, using integer math*, how exactly to tile the 1920X1080 (or whatever)desktop space. The text size, length and position of file names relative to the icon messes with how spacing is done too.

*A roundoff error can move an icon over to the next available slot, even when you don't want it to. Then there's the whole "avoid collision between icons" thing...

7. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Too much hassle! Why don't you just use the Show desktop gesture on trackpad?

8. davidlv macrumors 65816

That gesture - diagonal pinch or opening using the thumb and 3 fingers doesn't work on my MBP, and yes it is enabled in the trackpad system prefs pane.
    No idea why it doesn't work, 3 finger swipe works ....
    :(

9. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Strange. Works for me. There's just one glitch - this gesture works only in the first space - the desktop. Doesn't work on any other spaces (full-screen apps).