Anybody having problems with airplay?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by x-evil-x, Sep 27, 2014.

1. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

both my moms phone and mine one on 8.0 and mine is on 8.0.2 having issues air playing. i can mirror the device and it seems fine. but if i try to stream music from my phone to the apple tv always an error. remote app works fine.

2. fiveainone macrumors 6502a

Try turn Airplay on AppleTV on and off. Also updated AppleTV software to the latest verson (7.0). Airplay's been super stable for me since the update. It was randomly disconnecting for no reason from my rMBP to TV. It also looks like part of the family now with the new flat look :cool:

3. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

4. sublunar macrumors 6502

I don't have the airplay icon within apps since updating an ipad mini to iOS 8.0.2 - mirroring from that app is fine on 8.0.2 but all my other iOS 7 devices have that airplay icon within apps and continue to work just fine - much more convenient.

Restarted everything from airport extremes, AppleTVs (on the latest OS), with no difference.

I hope a future update will fix it as apparently you can't downgrade any more.

5. leesweet macrumors demi-god

leesweet

I was messing with this last night from my iPhone. Music seems to be flaky to get going with no rhyme or reason. Video airplay seems to work well but can also be glitchy if ATV isn't awake.

6. RobNYC macrumors 6502

Were you streaming iTunes when it was randomly disconnecting or mirroring your mac?

7. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

seems to be happening with the podcast app. other things seem fine to stream but getting an error when i try to do that from my phone. Maybe because the Apple TV had the podcast app?

8. darkfiber macrumors 6502a

darkfiber

Yes. Airplay on iOS 8.0 and still on 8.02 on my iPhone 5s (and my 6 Plus before I took it back to Apple) is very flakey with Airplay when I try to connect to my Airplay speaker (an Audyssey Audio Dock Air) or my Apple TV (3rd gen running the latest software 7.0). When I am listening to a song on my iPhone and select my Airplay speaker, initially the page showing the Airplay devices will refresh and then it will select the iPhone. It will also force me to reselect the song I was playing. If I then reselect the Airplay speaker and then select the song it will play. On my Apple TV, it is flakey as well. Sometimes I can't do mirroring on my Apple TV.

I never had these issues with iOS 7.1.2

So definitely there are bugs with Airplay that Apple needs to fix.

9. navigates macrumors 6502a

I use airplay/dlna receiver (pro) on the firetv and airplay used to perfectly work fine until 8. with 8.0.2 it does not connect anymore. Its sad how apple breaks perfectly working functionality. Airplay was listed as a fix on their release notes. I believe they meant. We've broken yet another perfectly working functionality.

10. sublunar macrumors 6502

I've done a bit of work on my iPad Mini with iOS 8.0.2 - using the BBC iPlayer app (which streams video from the BBC in the UK, and will allow Airplay from within the app via an icon).

My wifi network is created by 2 Airport Expresses (both publishing their own audio Airplay targets), and also contains a couple of Apple TV 3rd generation models. Crucially, one of them is a so-called Revision A model which is the one with the shrunken A5 chip as opposed to the original model which has one deactivated core. Both had been updated to the version 7 AppleTV software.

An iPhone 4 running iOS 7.1.2 works as before - you can Airplay anything on screen to any device in the network (including audio to either of the airport expresses).

An iPod Touch 4 running iOS 6.1.6 will do the same.

All devices, including the Mini, are on the same wifi network, none of them have bluetooth switched on as a rule.

The iPad Mini used to Airplay happily until it was upgraded to iOS 8.0 and then to iOS 8.0.2 - the Airplay icon disappeared from most apps capable of using Airplay.

Crucially, iPlayer has been updated by the BBC in the last few days but there's no difference - it's as though the iPlayer app is unaware of any Airplay Devices.

In iOS 8.0.2 you can swipe up to get a control panel that lets you see AirDrop and (eventually) Airplay. This didn't seem to work consistently.

After much messing about I turned bluetooth on in the iPad, and that brought back the Airplay icon but crucially it would only see one device - the Rev A Apple TV.

This led me to believe that turning on the bluetooth was letting the iPad see the AppleTV as though it wasn't connected to the home network (but it was, as I could stream video though iPlayer and browse web pages).

This doesn't seem to work in other apps which would have presented an Airplay icon in iOS 7.1.2 but don't in iOS 8.0.2 and crucially haven't been updated recently to be compatible with iOS 8.

It's as though the iPad Mini assumed that it couldn't see any suitable Airplay devices despite being on the same network, but turning bluetooth on allowed it to use Peer to Peer discovery and finally see the AppleTV.

The fact is, though, that the iPad really was on the network but didn't seem to realise it for Airplay purposes and only people who own the Revision A Mark 3 Apple TV could spot that.

Things have been rebooted, and wifis forgotten in methodical ways to try and isolate the issue based on other forum posts with no discernible difference.