Anybody heard if/when wi-fi sync will happen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Decrepit, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

I think it's pretty silly that I have to plug my phone in to my Mac when I could do a wireless sync to load new music onto my phone.

I can use Mobile Me to get contacts, and calendar information sync'd but not the music.

I've been searching, but haven't seen this documented anywhere recently.

Thanks to the interference that the original iPhone creates with my speakers, I hate to have it anywhere near my Mac. Syncing from across the room with my Mac via an AEBS would be slick.

Just wondering.

2. PhaserFuzz macrumors 6502

I too have been wondering this. Anyone knows if it's gonna happen?

3. Decrepit thread starter macrumors 65816

Decrepit

I found somebody who'd written a tool that works with a cracked iPhone, but nothing official.

Hell, I would be happy if I could use Mobile Me to sync my music, but that doesn't help non Mobile Me subscribers.

4. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

I think wifi sync is completely unnecessary, and we will NOT see it on the iPhone. You think battery is bad using GPS? Try syncing 10+ apps, music, and photos via wifi... you'll need to dock it just to get the battery back up from the 10% warning once you've finished your sync!

5. Decrepit thread starter macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Optional wi-fi sync would be a nice selling point. And, as a 1st Gen iPhone user, I've never had battery issues. Is GPS *that* battery hungry?

I don't use my computer to charge my phone, I have it plugged into a power strip elsewhere so that I can leave it charging overnight. I have to go out of my way to bring the sync cable to my Mac, turn off my speakers, sync it, take the phone out of the room and then I can use the speakers again.

I'm actually using my old HDD based iPod dock as the charger since that iPod is long dead and the iPhone actually fits.

6. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

i agree to some extent, but I don't think Apple has any plans to implement wifi sync due to battery issues.

7. higgalls macrumors regular

This won't happen at all - it has never happened for any of the ipods (unless im mistaken), and if you were wanting it to happen just for music, then it certainly would have happened on the ipod range by now.

8. Decrepit thread starter macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Prior to the existence of the iPhone, and therefore the iPod Touch, which iPods had wi-fi?

9. slicecom macrumors 68020

I would pay for mobile me if it meant i never had to connect my iPhone to my computer and everything was synced wirelessly.

10. .:R2theT macrumors 6502

It would only make sense for calendar and contacts syncs(maybe the return implementation of iSync?) but video/music...NO WAY! But as an aside, my Splashshopper iPhone app can sync through WiFi to it's desktop application and it is quite snappy. But this is for minimal data, just lists.

11. higgalls macrumors regular

Ah... you got me there. It was just one of those dum days haha.

12. higgalls macrumors regular

Yeah I would still love it though for Calendar and Contacts, but that isn't going to happen, especially since they have MobileMe which does all that wirelessly.

13. pedroistheman macrumors 6502

pedroistheman

WIRELESS SYNC???

Right now I'd be content with a successful sync...it seems like the new iPhone doesn't really get along with my virus-infested and soon-to-crash PC as I have yet to successfuly sync on a first-try. For some reason the iPhone wants to back itself up on every sync...I wouldn't mind this if each backup didn't take 15 minutes!!!

time to get a new computer...what i'd give for a decent macbook right now:rolleyes::rolleyes:

14. paj macrumors regular

paj

That's 'normal'. It does the same on a macbook.