Anybody here flash video cards?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by WGoins88, Mar 1, 2011.

1. WGoins88 macrumors regular

I would flash my own, but I don't have a PCI video card to put in my PC alongside the AGP card, therefore I can't do it, plus I have the worst luck in the world when it comes to flashing things, especially when doing a BIOS.

It's a 256MB XFX GeForce FX5200.

If anyone can do this, please contact me via PM.

Thanks!

OR.... am I possibly missing the fact that it could be done on a Mac? If that's the case, I can do that, I have a ATI Rage PCI card for a Mac.

2. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

You don't need PCI card to flash in a PC. Just use this 5200.
    In general Nvidia cards cannot be flashed in Macs (in fact some can, but certainly FX5200 not).

3. WGoins88 thread starter macrumors regular

You absolutely sure I can? I thought I read somewhere that I need a 2nd card to see what I am doing when it starts flashing the AGP card.

4. WGoins88 thread starter macrumors regular

Success! Well, the first part....I still have to tape the pins.

Flashed it successfully in the PC, now I just have to tape off the pins because it's an 8x card.

Oh, and it wasn't a fx5200, it was a fx5500.

5. WGoins88 thread starter macrumors regular

Oops... well it didn't work, so I essentially have a dead card. No big deal, it was an extra anyways. I tried the pin taping with no luck on it booting, then tried the trace cutting with no luck. So I'm just going to write it off as a loss.

6. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Hold on. Did you test it in a PC before flashing? Does your MDD "chime" with card installed? Did you try both outputs (i.e. usually DVI in flashed 5200/5500 doesn't work, DVI port gives only analog signal via VGA adapter)?
    Did you tape/cut pins at right side of the card (I've seen people who taped pins at front of the card instead at back of it ;))?
    If you didn't damage anything while trace cutting, card can be reflashed.

7. WGoins88 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, card was 100% working. Even the flash was 100% successful. Pins were properly disabled with an xacto knife very carefully. Mac does chime when inserted, but no display whatsoever, HOWEVER I WAS using a DVI cable. I'll try it with a VGA cable and see what it does.

Be back with results.

8. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

I have never flashed a PCI card before. My Geforce 6200 AGP had to be flashed in my friends old PC box. I used a flashing utility called Nvflash 5.31.

This is the site I started out on and he has other cards info and flashing guides that might help you.

9. WGoins88 thread starter macrumors regular

666sheep,
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I hooked the VGA cable up to it, and it's working!!!

And zen, this is an AGP card.

Now I have a 256MB FX5500! What a change from the 64mb Radeon 9000 Pro.

EDIT - Interesting, comes up as a 5200. Oh well, it works and that's all I care about!

[​IMG]

10. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

I see what you mean.. you need a PCI card for video while you flash the AGP. My friend had some random PCI vid card in there to begin with.

11. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

12. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

OS based thought..

Now that you have both core image support and much more vram at 256 I would consider trying 10.5. Those two things are the main thing that make or break Leo performance in my experiences. Just a thought.

Before I got my 6200 I ran 10.4 because Leo's 2D was kinda choppy and slow on the Radeon 7500 I used to have.

13. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

14. WGoins88 thread starter macrumors regular