Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
I used a 2010 21.5" iMac for about half a year, having found a very good deal on one. Before that, I only had a 20". It was a stop-gap machine until I could purchase my 2019 iMac. When the time came, I purchased a 27". I've tried to get used to it, but so far I am not having much luck with the default 1440p-looking setting.

The problem for me is not that it's too big really, but text is too small. While I can blow it up, I lose window realestate and it is a waste of the extra resolution. I do like the amount of content I can display on the higher setting, but then I find myself zoomed into a portion of the screen.

I like the option that the 4K 21.5 provides, which is a default setting that is easily readable, but I can shrink the elements to fit more work on the display. I wish that they would bring back the 24" option, that was really the sweet spot in my opinion. I find that the 21.5" is wide enough, but not tall enough. 24" is a bit wider, and much taller. Maybe when a redesign comes we will get something closer to 24".

The problems I outlined above are not enough to make me sell this thing and buy a 21.5", because I can adjust if needed. But it did make me think about this and whether others have the same issue. I know for a fact too that the 27" would not fit on my old desk, it's too wide, so that might be a factor for some. Of course a lot of the forum goers have much better vision than me, I'm in my early 60s and dyslexic. I'd be interested in hearing people's input on this.

No matter which size you have though, just remember that what you are using is much larger than what the consumers are using now, being 6" smartphones or 13" laptops on average.

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
I love the 27 inch my work bought for me. I do photoshop, illustrator, and final cut work on it, and grading papers is a pleasure, as is reading PDFs. I had my elderly father get one, and this is the first time he’s been able to get real work done on the computer without a magnifying glass in years.

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
is the screen the same distance away?
I have the 27" a bit farther than the 21.5" on average, just due to size, but it's at a distance that I could still read text on the 21.5". I can always slide it closer when I need, but it's not as easy to use when the whole screen is 2 ft from my face.

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
wikipedia claims that both are around 219 ppm.

Do you wear contacts/ eyeglasses?
The PPI does not account for increase in size with the resolution. If you have both computers side-by-side and open up System Preferences or a similar app, you'll notice it's much much smaller on the 27. I do have glasses, I basically need them to use either machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.