Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GenNovE

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Hello,

I was wondering if anybody on this board is following the stanford iphone development course. Would love to interact with people following it so that we can help each other out throughout the process. I know in upcoming lectures
coding will be yielded towards group projects.

Like the tweet app etc.

So anybody willing to IM to discuss or know of a already established group?

I have been following the process and finished the assignments. But would really be awesome to converse with other people doing it.

By the way love this board Had a problem with a simple line of code and I recieved amazing help. THANK YOU

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
I've been following. So glad they did this because it just rocks having access to an actual college-level course on the subject, for free too mind you.

simplymuzik3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2009
How can I get access to it? Do I have to be going to the school? Im currently in gr11 high school and I live in Canada. Is there any way I could get it?

plinx0r

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Yep, I'm following the course and doing the assignments. I'm trying to think of the best way to help each other out. We could definitely use IM but what about setting up an IRC channel and just having everyone use that? Thoughts?

GenNovE

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
IIRC is definitely an option. We can IM each other through yahoo,me etc.
So far this course have been very informative towards obJC...

And who knows a macrumors developed native iphone app can arise from this.
The possibilities are endless.

What other options do you guys consider?

Autokon

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
CA
I'm following them as well....so far its good stuff. I'm an IT, but I'm just now really looking into learning some programming languages...obviously that of iphone/touch objective C stuff. Just finding a starting point ya know?

Starting some sort of "focus" group isnt a half bad idea. Could bounce ideas and learn from one another, thats for sure. Technically...could be a Dev group ;)

danmanstx

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2009
Lexington, Ky
i'm following as well, and it's well done so far. i'm a soon to be junior in CS/ComE and having a class on Obj-C is wonderful. I'd definitely be open to doing a group project or anything like that.

iphonerain

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2009
question...

How advanced do I have to be in progamming already to be able to follow this class?? I'm having trouble downloading the video on itunes...

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
You should have a pretty good understanding of basic programming if you want to keep up. The course itself is taken by a lot of CS grad students (base on the lecture I have heard so far), and it certainly isn't an entry level course.

macuser1997

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2009
You should have a pretty good understanding of basic programming if you want to keep up. The course itself is taken by a lot of CS grad students (base on the lecture I have heard so far), and it certainly isn't an entry level course.
The only prerequisites are the 2 intro CS classes Stanford has.

iSaga

macrumors regular
May 25, 2008
I'm following along, it is really cool that they are offering this class for free. I'd be interested in a group as well.

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
The only prerequisites are the 2 intro CS classes Stanford has.
Hence I said you should be pretty familiar with the basic.

In a respectable CS program like Stanford, if you don't have A's in both of those classes, you won't be thinking about CS and certainly not this iPhone course. Therefore everyone that is in the actual Stanford iPhone course are VERY familiar with the basic of computer language.

macuser1997

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2009
Hence I said you should be pretty familiar with the basic.

In a respectable CS program like Stanford, if you don't have A's in both of those classes, you won't be thinking about CS and certainly not this iPhone course. Therefore everyone that is in the actual Stanford iPhone course are VERY familiar with the basic of computer language.

I got a C in the first CS course, B in the second, and am a CS major. I'm currently enrolled in CS193P.

How can you say crap like "if you don't have A's in both of those classes, you won't be thinking about CS" when it's just blatantly made up by you.

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
I got a C in the first CS course, B in the second, and am a CS major. I'm currently enrolled in CS193P.

How can you say crap like "if you don't have A's in both of those classes, you won't be thinking about CS" when it's just blatantly made up by you.

I guess I am wrong about the "respectable" part, or you are simply special. If you can't get an A in intro classes for a competitive major, how do you demostrate your ability to succeed in the major?

What is the average Stanford CS students GPA for core prerequisites? I can't imagine sub 3.0 being the mean.

Wow, I guess CS is an open major in Stanford? My statement meant to apply to a competitive major that is not open enrollment.

ooo

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2007
I guess I am wrong about the "respectable" part, or you are simply special. If you can't get an A in intro classes for a competitive major, how do you demostrate your ability to succeed in the major?

What is the average Stanford CS students GPA for core prerequisites? I can't imagine sub 3.0 being the mean.

Wow, I guess CS is an open major in Stanford? My statement meant to apply to a competitive major that is not open enrollment.

I agree, getting a C in an intro class is pretty bad. It's going to only get harder. Regardless, if you enjoy it, keep going! Good luck with it.

plinx0r

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Anyone feel like sharing their getter method for angleInRadians for Assignment 2A?

note: I'm not in the class so technically this isn't my hw. :cool:

macuser1997

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2009
If you can't get an A in intro classes for a competitive major, how do you demostrate your ability to succeed in the major?
It's news to me that you have to get straight As to be a successful CS major. This is really awful for me.

I guess I'll have to drop out and become a full-time iPhone app developer or switch to Women's Studies. Thank you for informing me.

macuser1997

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2009
I am watching the courses even though I am in way over my head. I need to learn C first (don't know anything) ( see this thread https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/680658/ ), but I figure like learning a foreign language it doesn't hurt to watch even though I really have no idea wth they are talking about--it might sink in by osmosis. :rolleyes:

Even for an experienced programmer, the lectures are mystifying and boring without context. Try to do the assignments, then watch the lectures and take notes, especially on the code samples. You'll understand where the lecture slide material fits in that way. Buy Stephen Kochan's "Programming in objective-C 2.0". Between that, the documentation, and the lectures, you should be able to grind through the assignments if you work real hard.

PM me if you get really stuck.

Alternatively, you can get "Beginning iPhone Development" by Mark and LeMarche. You'll know how to create iPhone apps, but you'll be missing a lot of the foundation that is important to know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.