Anybody here using the iPad with T-Mobile's 4G?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sfilingeri, Mar 15, 2011.

1. sfilingeri, Mar 15, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2011

sfilingeri macrumors member

sfilingeri

Hello, my city is fully covered with T-Mobile's 4G service, I currently have a HTC HD2 with $19.95 unlimited Data that I use as a hotspot for my iPad and MacBook but was thinking about upgrading my phone to a 4G phone

Does anybody have T-Mobile's service 4G and tether their iPad, how much of an improvement have they seen?

2. hcho3 macrumors 68030

What the....

iPad GSM model doesn't have t-mobile 1700 HZ frequency built in, so how is it going to run on T-mobile HSPA+ network? (Which is not 4G... more like 3.5G)

3. turkey1 macrumors member

Have sprint 4g and evo with hotspot. Works amazing almost as good as wifi

4. sfilingeri thread starter macrumors member

sfilingeri

Thanks! But I meant upgrading my phone to a new 4G phone and use that as a hotspot

5. macinnv macrumors regular

Yes, I here am tethering with my MyTouch. I did a Speedtest.net test compared to other ATT iPad users. I consistently get around 4mps when they are getting about 2mps. Its nice!

6. Greg M macrumors 6502

MyTouch and iPad are a great combo and I save a lot over the lousy and expensive 3G plans. $80 per month for unlimited everything including hotspot without any limits or throttling.

7. sfilingeri thread starter macrumors member

sfilingeri

I still have the unlimited data on my smartphone for $20 a month and plan on keeping that bad boy for a while

8. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

I've yet to see anyone try this - we don't REALLY know if it supports 1700 or not, since it was rumored the vzw iphone's chip not only supported GSM, but AWS GSM as well because it used a more universal chip (I know, no sim card tray, yatta yatta).

If they were using that chip in the GSM iPad I wouldn't see why it wouldn't support AWS.

But find out first ;)

9. macinnv macrumors regular

I think if the Qualcomm chip is in the newest iPad, i believe the 1700 frequency would have to be 'turned on' by Apple. Im sure someone could confirm this for me.

I also thought I would have to pay for tethering. Somehow my plan must have it grandfathered in. Tethering without having to add that feature saves $10/month!

10. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Usually, if you use tethering on T-Mobile without the plan, you'll get a text message eventually that you have to pay for the $15 add-on. The thing is, they go by user agent checks - since the iPad probably won't be detected by them as anything more than an iPhone, you're probably safe. (For now, lol!) :D

11. holyindian macrumors 6502

Please correct me, but i find it confusing, how can you use a cellphone as a hotspot?? I have an Iphone, but have T-Mobile on it.. which is supposed to be 4G.

12. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

You can buy MyWi on cydia which will let you turn your iPhone into a hotspot. However with Tmobile & iPhone, you only get edge speeds which are very slow.

13. holyindian macrumors 6502

Oh ok.. that one, I am already using tethering on t-mobile. But the speed is real crappy.

14. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

same...

that's why i'm debating on...

iPad 2 3G, cancel my T-Mobile $9.99 unlimited plan.

or

upgrade my phone to a T-Mobile 4G and purchase unlimited for $25.00.

15. holyindian macrumors 6502

To overcome this, i brought an iSpot by clear. 24 dollars a month for unlimited 4G network.. which works as wifi on ipad 2. Its 10 times faster than 3g.

16. Fixmy59bug macrumors newbie

I wait for delivery tomorrow morning of my iPad. My phone is an HTC EVO 4G that has been rooted with wireless tether. I look forward to beibg able to tether my iPa to it.

17. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

i've looked around, but it seems they discounted these. Since they were easily jailbreakable, so anything can connect to them.

The next best thing from them is a $45 unlimited plan.

18. Greg M macrumors 6502

Should go into the store and update your plan because it's only $10 now.

19. Greg M macrumors 6502

I've got a MyTouch 4g with $10 unlimited data. I use the hotspot on the phone and it doesn't cost anything extra.

20. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

Wait whaaat. You have the T-Mobile unlimited web for phones $9.99 plan and it works for the MyTouch 4G? Do you get 3G/4G speeds?

I have that plan for my unlocked iPhone 3G. I only get EDGE speeds, so I do not want to tether.

21. holyindian macrumors 6502

anything 4g by tmobile wud work at crappy edge speeds on ipad/iphone :(

22. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

Why is that? Your phone is a hotspot.