Anybody in UK still waiting for SIM activation?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by -Garry-, Jul 11, 2008.

1. -Garry- macrumors 6502a

-Garry-

Received iPhone from CPW at 8:10am this morning. It's been activated through iTunes but my SIM still isn't registered (No Service).

Anybody in a similar boat?

2. jws7 macrumors member

Same here. Wifi access only. Was your instore sign up paper only too?

3. -Garry- thread starter macrumors 6502a

-Garry-

Nope - mine's more worrying. I ordered from CPW earlier this week. Arrived this morning. :s

4. thousandthman macrumors newbie

Yep, picked up from CPW this afternoon. Activated fine but No Service yet. :(

5. volsgod macrumors newbie

Activation Issue

Was fortunate enough to pick up two new 8GB iPhones this morning. AT&T couldn't complete the activation and told me to do it at home. When I finally got into iTunes, the first one (my existing number) had a signal immediately after I completed the registration in iTunes. I completed the second iPhone about 2 hours ago (new phone number) and it still shows at "No Service", though it is unlocked and otherwise functioning. AT&T Tech Support basically told me to wait it out. Does a 2+ hour wait for the SIM or service activation to complete seem unusual to anyone, even with the circumstances of today's launch?:confused:

I hope it finishes up soon.

6. r88my macrumors regular

Yep still no service here. Ordered online earlier in the week from CPW. Word is it may even take 72 hours for this to be sorted out.

7. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

is this normal? 72 hours

bit crap this launch! my gran could have done a better job:mad:

8. C225 macrumors regular

Same here bought this morning at o2 store via paper sign up

9. r88my macrumors regular

No its not normal but due to O2 having so many problems and there being such big demand its ended up being like this...

10. minga macrumors member

3 days non service = rebate on unusable service! I guess there will be offical sorrys and such like on monday or tuesday!

11. Johnpartridge macrumors regular

Yep still waiting, though I think I may have made a mistake, I activated it earlier with the wrong phone number (haven't been given my o2 contract number yet)

Is it possible to activate again?

Cheers

12. r88my macrumors regular

I did that too due to not knowing my new O2 number, but I dont know how to change it at the moment. I don't think it makes too much difference to the signal situation though.

13. -Garry- thread starter macrumors 6502a

-Garry-

14. r88my macrumors regular

During the activation process in itunes. It already had my account info in there though with me having an existing itunes account, and the phone number field was populated with my home phone number so i just left it as is.

15. C225 macrumors regular

I don't think that number mattered as it was just a standard registration of the product and mine was auto filled with my house number and as i don't know my new number i just left it.

Was it just me that thought the activation process was short(apple id,address then finished) After that i got a message on the phone saying "unable to complete activation due to no service" then it just synced my music.

16. Fat Man Hackett macrumors newbie

Cool... It's not just me then. How do you finally find out when you've been activated? Do they send an email or something? Also, I can't find a phone number anywhere (I'm going for a new number, not porting my old one across). Will this be given to me once it's activated?

Thanks!

17. markym07931 macrumors regular

I just typed in the number i am porting from o2 PAYG... we'll see what happens..

slotted in the PAYG sim, so i have a phone, with 82p credit on, no 3g, as the phone has the contract info built in..

wifi, app store, exchange, mobile me, all set up and working wonderfully... so simple the exchange set up was...

just getting a few more apps now and heading to bed!

18. r88my macrumors regular

If anyone wants to change their number it will be under edit payment info in itunes when you sign into your itunes account. Like I said though i dont think it matters as this is the number associated with your itunes payments. You might find your new o2 number on the receipt that you got from carphone warehouse that came when your iphone was delivered. My new number is on the receipt - didn't notice that earlier.

19. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

Yeah, same experience for me and I still have no service. I'm just going to try switching off and on every hour or two and maybe chase it up tomorrow if it still isn't working. I'm porting a PAYG number and just typed it in when prompted as I didn't have any other number to enter.

It's not so bad now that the phone has been activated as at least I can use it for other functions. GPS isn't working yet either though - is that the same for you other guys?

Good to know I'm not the only one in this particular boat - thanks to the OP for posting this thread.

Craig.

20. -Garry- thread starter macrumors 6502a

-Garry-

No GPS here either. I didn't enter any number during activation so I don't think it's actually got anything to do with the process.

21. JoeDRC macrumors 6502

still no service, O2 sales assistant said my SIM should be activated by tomorrow morning.
    i hope so!

22. cjwosbon macrumors member

Nothing for me yet, I picked up my iphone direct from apple, ran through the itunes process (put in my house number by mistake?!) and it just says no service in the top left hand corner....

Kept waking up in my sleep thinking I could hear it connecting, however nothing as yet - 12 hours

23. jws7 macrumors member

Nothing here either. Its now 24 Hours since I bought the phone from an 02 Store.

24. cjwosbon macrumors member

Ok, so atleast we can be pretty confident its nothing weve done wrong, just seems like O2 are having to activate all the iphones manually - which is making us wait all this time...

25. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

i rang now

mine will be activated by monday evening!!! :(