Anybody Know About Phono Cartridges?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by adk, Oct 3, 2008.

1. adk macrumors 68000

adk

My turntable no longer seems to have a needle. My genius friend seems to have torn it off while trying to find a song. I need a new phono cartridge and this is a topic I know literally nothing about. I'm not looking to spend a ton of money to play dirty old records that I find at garage sales, but will I notice a difference between the $30 Audio-Technica and the $60 Grado?

2. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

Grado cartridges are legendary, the audio tech one is probably very good, but if Grado cartridges are like they're headphones they are must buys.

Victor

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

The "needle" is a stylus, and quite a few of them are still available, without purchasing an entire new cartridge.

Get the number off the cartridge and Google for further information.

4. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

I would say no. Not for sound reproduction anyway.

I think the only difference in phono cartridges these days would be one of durability. Say if your in to mixing or scratching.

The market for a phono cartridge is so small and specialized these days, they can charge what ever they want.

5. adk thread starter macrumors 68000

adk

I'm aware of that, but with the traumatic fashion in which the needle was broken off, I'd rather get a new cartridge in case of more internal damage in the cartridge.

6. hexonxonx macrumors 601

If you live near a Radio Shack, they still carry them. That's where I used to get cartridges for my Tecnics turntables (I still own them).