Anybody know anything about antique furniture?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by glocke12, Dec 26, 2008.

1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

I have a bedroom set that belonged to my mother, (dresser, chest of drawers, and a dressing table with bench), that dates from the 1950's. It has a painted finish, and some parts are in need of minor repairs...

Im trying to find out if it is worth trying to sell, or if it should just be trashed. There really isnt anything wrong with it that a competent craftsman couldnt fix, so I hate to just trash it...

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Your best bet is to take some pictures of it and bring them to an antique shop. They may undercut you on the price, but at least you can get something for it. Is there anything on the bottom that identifies the maker? It would be etched or burned in somewhere. It was the way it was done back then.

Oh and btw, post some pics because I've developed an entire college course on the history of interior furnishings, I may be able to at least point you towards the era/style so you don't sell it off blindly.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Do you have any idea who designed it? Take some pics and put them up. If it's Wakefield (which I doubt, because it's painted) it could be worth something.

Does it look like this?

Attached Files:

4. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

here are some pics...No real info is on the back, except for some stenciling that gives the model number, a date, and a shipping tag that gives the name of the store and my mothers address at the time....

Its pretty dirty, and does need repainting, but I cant help but think that undere all the dirt and grime its gotta be worth something to someone...(please excuse the mess also, I have alot of stuff to go through of my parents).

5. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

again

Attached Files:

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You might want to try looking up the model number online and see if anything comes up. You'd be surprised how effective that can be.

7. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

thanks...i tried, no luck..:(

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's too bad there's no company name on it. Did you look on the bottom of the pieces? It's unlikely, but sometimes you can find the name there. Maybe try the bottom of the stool.

9. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Oh, sorry, there is a company name on the tag...

"Lit Brothers furniture"...

They were based in philadelphia...a google search of them only turns up one reference to them, in a book called "tempest rising"

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Hmm...it must have just been something local that didn't last.

Found this:

http://www.answers.com/topic/litt-brothers

That is interesting. That's probably all you're going to find though. I tried! I have quite a bit of antique furniture from the 30's. I hope somebody can tell you more.

11. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

thanks...more than i found....

Im not interested in getting money for the furniture as much as I am in finding a good home for it....if worse comes to worse Ill just find someone to give it to...

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You're welcome.

Yeah- don't throw it out. It does have a pretty cool history.

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The pieces appear to be French Provincial. It was actually quite common 30-50 years ago in many households. It was basically this or something more "modern" for that era. French Provincial furniture actually dates back to the 18th century, some pieces from that era may have marble tops. The style was mass produced so it would be important to know whether or not you have something more authentic that was simply painted or not. I grew up with a similar set in creme, gold embellishments, and similar hardware. It was common for them to be painted and under the care of a young girl, mine didn't fare well. I believe my parents have kept a few pieces, but both my sister and I had them from 1976 until we moved out years later.

So your furniture may have more history than value, but without finding out if yours are somehow handcrafted one of a kind as opposed to pieces made in mass production, it would be hard to tell their value. I know money is not your interest here, but it usually is nice to know what the value would be since they belonged to your parents.

14. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Thanks Jessica. I suspect that based on what I know about the income level of my mother and her parents at the time, that they were mass produced...she would not have been able to afford handcrafted pieces...