anybody know where to buy a car engine?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mrkramer, Sep 12, 2007.

1. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I am currently working on restoring a 1964 Ford Falcon, unfortunatly the engine will probably be needing to be replaced, so I need to find a new engine. I would like to keep the car as close to origional as possible, so I am looking for a 260V8. does anyone have an idea of where I could get one? it is pretty close to a mustang as far as parts go so there should be parts out there for it, I just don't know where to get them.

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Try vintage car dealers, they might have or know people who can make them.

3. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

4. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Your local automotive machine shop can either rebuild the one you have, or order one from a wrecking yard and rebuild that one. Some of your larger engine rebuilders might have one already in stock, but it would probably either be a 289 V8 or 302 V8 for your Ford Falcon.

Look in your yellow pages under Automotive - sub section - Machinists.

5. mrkramer thread starter macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think that it would cost as much to rebuild it as it would to replace it since it was sitting for 20 years without having all of the fluids drained from it so now it is corroded on all of the inside that I can see.

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Seems like it would be tough to get the right one that isn't a repro. The 260 was dropped after 1964, which was the only complete year it was available in the Falcon. And the 62/63 versions had slightly smaller valves (but I guess show judges wouldn't know what size your valves were unless you told them or they checked the serial number ;)). And that's assuming you're even going to do shows like that at all.

I wish I has torque peak at 2200 RPM :(