Anybody knows Crossover software???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macsar, Jun 3, 2010.

1. macsar macrumors newbie

Hey,
    I posted this on snow leopard forum and didn't get any answer.

Anybody knows anything about a software called crossover from codeweavers???
    it claims to let u install PC software without need for installing windows on Mac
    I'm more specifically interested in running windows MS office on Mac, anyone tried it, let me please know your feedback

Thanx

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

Crossover is based on a piece of software called "Wine" which you can download for free and use for free (free software will do that).

What Crossover has over wine is a fancy GUI to automate the installation of Office and other popular windows software as well as optimize the settings for you (makes it painless). Wine can be annoying some times.

I have used Wine. Paid for Cedega (gaming Wine for Linux). Paid for Crossover for both Linux and Mac. It is definitely a solid option if you just want tool to work. Otherwise, VirtualBox (free) or Vmware with a Windows virtual machine is far more robust.

4. Jof macrumors regular

I've used Crossover, VMWare Fusion, VirtualBox and Parallels for a number of years under OSX and Ubuntu. This is my concluding thought on the matter:

I've found resuming an XP VM under Parallels 5 generally faster than starting an app under Crossover. That, combined with the vastly better reliability, compatibility and UX, means that I use Parallels 5 now for all my XP apps rather than Crossover. Crossover's a great product and their support guys are awesome, but it's just not "mission ready" enough for many apps even after all this time.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

IMO CrossOver's biggest advantage is the lack of need for Windows as that would be at least another 100$. It's okay if you are not using more than few apps and you know that they are supported by it. I just installed Parallels 5 and Windows 7 and I have to say, it's very impressive. The crystal mode is just like using Windows apps natively on OS X and it's only using 700MB RAM! Definitely better than CO

6. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

OP you can download a free trial of the software from here. Then you can see if it will work for what you want it to do.

7. macsar thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much guys

I really appreciate your reply
    I figured most of you recommends installing parallel with windows, I think this will I will end to do.