Anybody make a Mini Displayport to S-Video adapter?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jamesr242, Jul 23, 2009.

1. jamesr242 macrumors member

Title pretty much sums it up. The only thing I could find is people using ridiculous setups with converter boxes, USB, etc. I just want something simple and easy (non-cluttered). Surely if Apple is too stupid to make one then there is something aftermaket, right?

2. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.250 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

The only aftermarket adapters ATM I believe are from monoprice.com, but I'm fairly certain they don't have one to s-video. Most people will be going forwards (miniDP to DP, or HDMI) not backwards to very old technology. Best bet is miniDP to vga, and vga to s-vid if you can find it.

3. admanimal macrumors 68040

Why not use an MDP->DVI and DVI->Video (S-Video and composite), both available from Apple?

4. danny_w macrumors 601

That won't work because the analog pins in the DVI connector are missing.

5. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

It isn't about the physical connection, but rather the signal being transferred. I'm fairly certain that mDP -> VGA then VGA to S-Video should work, but no guarantees.

If the cables don't work, you would have to buy converters which could cost as much as buying a new TV with HDMI (a small one).

6. ubestbsteppin macrumors regular

Unfortunately, none of these suggestions. You can read about why by looking at this thread .

Something like this seems to be the only option.

7. danny_w macrumors 601

Here is the converter you need. Couple this with a MDP->VGA adapter and you're in luck, if a bit messy. It gets power from the USB port, so that is one extra cable that you need to run.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10114&cs_id=1011407&p_id=4724&seq=1&format=2

8. jamesr242 thread starter macrumors member

These options really suck. Thanks for the help though! I really just wish Apple would make a simple adapter.

I have an HDTV now, but I'm moving across the country now and my living situation is going to be temporary so I'm probably going to be selling it and buying a cheap, older SDTV that won't have HDMI/DVI inputs. I really hate this proprietary display crap with a lack of adapters.

9. danny_w macrumors 601

I wish the same thing, but Display Port simply does not put out the signals necessary to make this happen. This is a case of one step forward, two steps back in the case that you need it.