Anybody only use the remote app on their iPhone?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by shenfrey, Apr 23, 2019.

1. shenfrey macrumors 68000

Iv always hated the apple remote since they included that horrid touch pad. I’m an apple sheep, but the remote was even too much for me. Various tiles I’ve thrown that damn thing across the room in frustration.

Since discovering the built in remote app, it’s perfect. Really, it’s perfect. I’m not accidentally pressing the wrong button, or accidentally swiping. The responsiveness is spot on, and since using it iv not had any problems using my Apple TV. My only suggestion would be to allow to us to turn on and off the TV using the app, and adjusting our TV volume, just like the physical remote.

2. JBaby macrumors regular

JBaby

You can turn on and off the tv with the Control Center remote. You can control the volume with your volume buttons on your device if your tv controls volume via CEC and not IR. And no I don’t use the CC remote as my primary remote because I love the Siri remote. But I use CC remote when the Siri remote isn’t near me. Now when I had an tv 3rd gen I used the app exclusively because I hated the tiny silver remote. It was cold to the touch and I always lost it. But I have a Griffin Survivor case on my Siri remote and that has made all the difference! But now that I have HomePods I use both remotes even less now.

3. shenfrey thread starter macrumors 68000

How do I enable this because it doesn’t let me on my app, just switches off the box when I press sleep mode. And anyway to switch it to cec?

4. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I personally hate the Remote app.

IMO, it takes a lot of the stuff that is wrong with the Siri Remote, and is missing the best parts of the Siri Remote.

I hate the touch pad on the Siri Remote, and the Remote App is just a big version of it.

I like physical buttons, and the Remote App doesn't have any while the Siri Remote has at least a few.

I also hate having to carry around my iPhone to use as the remote.

I really wish that the Siri Remote and the Remote app had a D-pad. This would make a huge difference imo.

5. JBaby macrumors regular

JBaby

Just like on the Siri remote. Tap and hold on the tv button. To turn on the tv tap any button or tap the trackpad. If it doesn’t work that means your tv manufacturer has implemented CEC on your model terribly.

6. shenfrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Okay I have enabled cec and now I can turn on and off my TV using the remote. Thanks for the tip! How do I control the voice though? There’s no volume control on the app remote.

7. JBaby macrumors regular

JBaby

You have to use the physical volume buttons on the iOS device.

8. Casey Royals macrumors member

Casey Royals

Download the app for your AV Receiver to change volume, if there’s one available.

9. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 65816

I'm a fan of the ATV 4K remote - the only adjustment that I made was in settings - I made the trackpad respond with the 'fast' setting - I have this on my MacBooks too - funnily enough when I go into Apple Stores and play with MacBooks/MacBook Pro's, I immediately don't like the trackpad and find it slow and then I remember the speed setting :)

I do use the remote app on my iPhone X when I have the X near to me. It's beautiful experience.

In the real olden days, I used the remote app 100% of the time to control my ATV 2 and then 3 as I didn't like the design of the old remote control and i'd fallen in love with my iPhone 4 and then 4S at the time and loved how it replaced around 100+ products for me :)

I feel the same about Apple TV now and the whole neatness, no discs or plastic cases and 'it just works' vibe makes me grateful that I made the right decision to go along this route way back in the day :) Plus knowing that the iCloud uses 100% renewables makes me happy when i'm streaming using my roof solar panels :) :) :)

10. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

I use the remote app on my iPhone/iPad/Apple Watch every single day on our ATV 4K in our family room. Most of the time, it's a seamless experience, especially when I get up from the couch and want to pause whatever I'm watching, I'll just tap my AW and hit pause.

I really only use the actual remote on our ATV in the bedroom. As my AW is off my wrist and charging, so it's natural to just grab the remote that's right next to me.

11. digitalexplr macrumors 6502a

digitalexplr

I use the cc remote on both phone and ipad. My wife usually has the siri remote. Very simple to pull down cc and click on the app and change programs on TV. Volume is the only thing missing from the cc app.

12. priitv8 macrumors 68040

It's there. You need to rock the iPhone volume buttons to adjust volume.
    (Requires HDMI-CEC connection between aTV and amp, though).

13. digitalexplr macrumors 6502a

digitalexplr

Thanks! I will give that a try.