anybody own a blackberry and a iphone 3g and why????

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gdeusthewhizkid, Apr 28, 2009.

1. gdeusthewhizkid macrumors 6502a

I see this new trend of professional creative types that own a blackberry and a iphone 3g. why is this. does the iphone now do everything the blackberry does and more.. ? I do not see the point of this aside from the blackberry messenger that people seem to be gaga over..

let me know what's the point and the perks of having both devices....

2. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Often businesses provide Blackberries to their workers.

3. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

One for business (usually provided through company, blackberry) that you can turn off on vacation and when you dont want work calls and your personal iPhone that is for family friends and the like.

4. mrtune macrumors 6502a

For many professionals, the blackberry is a work provided phone. Usually connected to the corporate network for messaging and email. It's not uncommon for someone to have another phone, like an iPhone as a personal device.

I, for example, have both phones.

5. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I have both. The blackberry is my work phone and my iPhone is for personal use. My work uses the verison network so an iPhone is not an option. It was either the blackberry or I would have to give out my personal number to clients and co-workers without being compensated for the time spent on the phone.

6. shotts56 macrumors 6502

As others have stated above, blackberry is provided by my employer.

I got myself an iphone as I was fed up with clients calling me for stupid things in the evening and at weekends, so now I can switch off my blackberry at 5pm on a Friday and become a normal person again for the weekend.

7. friedpig macrumors newbie

friedpig

my work blackberry was replaced by an iphone or I would have both. I am considering an iphone for personal use so i can turn off the work one during vacation and off time.

8. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

I have both, and I use them both for work use.

The iPhone is used to get my contacts, emails and calendar stuff, as well as phone calls, the BlackBerry is used for internal IM (OCS) when I am out and about.

The iPhone can't do anything better or worse than BlackBerry's, it just does things differently. Although the BlackBerry does have more features at the moment, both from a technical perspective and a consumer persperctive

9. randomusername macrumors 6502

Barney Stinson owns a Blackberry Bold and an iPhone.

10. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

I have both, but not for work... It's just because I'm classy.

11. surfer99 macrumors 6502

I have both as well. Blackberry for work, iPhone for personal use. I couldnt imagine not being able to turn off my work phone for the weekends.

12. spookme macrumors member

Both Here

I have both devices.

Having worked for O2, I was an instore Blackberry expert.

Until the 3G came along pretty much the push was to talk to iPhone customers about the BB and visa versa. I myself was always going to stay true to the way of BB............ that was until I discovered for myself the iPhone.

Why do I still keep my BB? Because to be honest sometimes it just looks cool but on the otherside of it and it is a personal thing........... I have a fully functioning phone with proper MSN Messenger running on it, which runs in the back ground giving me a truely mobile device. However I must add, for everything else I use the iPhone and will never look back :)

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

iPhone: Personal
    Blackberry: Business issued so business use only.
    During work hours I have to carry both which makes me worse than a blue tooth douche but it is a requirement and I like the paychecks that come with the blackberry so I'm ok being douchey.

14. wfiphone macrumors member

I didn't know companies gave free Blackberries. Which companies an what position do you have to have to get one?

15. SteveyAsp macrumors newbie

I have both for personal use.
    Firstly I'm a mobile junkie. I do a lot of surfing therefore the iPhone battery isn't man enough.
    Also I do shift work that is on an 8 weekly pattern therefore on the BB I can input my rota in once for 8 weeks and get it to repeat every 8 weeks for ever which I can't on the iPhone.
    I could never be without the iPhone because I just love it's ease of use.

16. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

I got my BB curve from work. I hate carrying around 2 phones. I feel like a poser. Plus the iPhone is superior.

17. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

I think by "free" it means so long as you're employed there.

As a lawyer, most large law firms issue them to attorneys and some staff. Partners may pay for them themselves, but that's only because partners ultimately pay the bills anyway.

18. calvy macrumors 65816

I work as a Linux sys admin. I have an iPhone 3g for personal use, and will be given a blackberry for work use, which will replace the pager I currently carry. They won't let us hook our iPhones up to the corporate email system (exchange), and I'd rather keep my work life and home life seperate....so when I am not on the clock, I don't take my blackberry with me. And you'd be hard pressed to get me to give up my iPhone, a blackberry sure as hell is not going to replace it for me.

19. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I have a BlackBerry for BBM b/c I can talk to friend in Canada, Australia, NZ and the UK for free.

Its also better for PUSH services.

I know solely use my BB, but I'm not against giving the iPhone another shot after this summer.

20. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Interesting how everyone uses a blackberry for work and an iPhone for personal use--but not the other way around. Similar to Macs and PCs.

21. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I use mine for personal?

22. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Yeah, but you said you now *only* use a blackberry no? I was referring to people who currently use both, but whom designate the blackberry for work and the iphone for personal use.

23. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Well I work the slurpee machine at the local 7/11.

I need it in case we have a code 9. (slurpee machine breaks)

24. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    that is in the inherent nature of the phones. the bb is a much more corporate driven market, and has been marketing that fact for years.

the iphone is a more fun phone. I mean you can get a fart app for crying out loud :rolleyes:

It would be really weird to see someone use the iphone for work and a bb for pleasure?...

25. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Hmm. My dads company may be one of the few that gives their employees iPhones then?

I guess I could be responsible for that. I got an iPhone in 2007. My dad liked it, so he bought one too. Liked it so much he implemented use of iPhone 3Gs at work rather than the Samsung BlackJacks they were using.