Anybody prefer pre-unibody pro to MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sfs244, Oct 19, 2013.

1. sfs244 macrumors newbie

I've had my 13" MBA for a year, and I still prefer using my early 15" 2008 MBP. I'm trying to figure out why I like it better, but I can't put my finger on it. Maybe the anti-glare screen or the larger screen or just the feel to it. But for some reason it just feels better. Anyone feel the same way?

I bought the Air because the pro was freezing up all the time, but must have been a software issue because after an update it started running fine again. Thinking of selling the air and just keeping the pro

2. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

I have never heard of anyone preferring a 5 year old machine to a new one. Sorry.

3. sfs244 thread starter macrumors newbie

Obviously there is a performance difference but for browsing web/checking emails writing word docs the performance difference is hardly noticeable. For my use the battery life is the only thing that is appealing about the newer models.

4. paradyse macrumors newbie

Yes, agree with you. I am still using my early 2008 MBP. It still works well. I like the trackpad, keyboard more than the recent one. The new trackpad is easily broken. google "macbook trackpad problems" and you will know what I mean.

5. MyMac1976 macrumors 6502

MyMac1976

The keyboard!

Pre-unibody have better keyboards by far!

6. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

So true. I've gotten used to the chiclet keyboards but I like the old style ones better.

7. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

Never owned a pre-unibody MacBook, but I will say that I basically don't prefer the Air form factor over anything.

Those knife-like edges just didn't do anything for me, nor does the tapered thickness that produces them. Personally I think the current Air form factor is done after this year as it no longer looks or feels either modern or more portable (especially compared to a 13" rMBP). The rumors about the Air line being replaced by a redesigned 12" retina machine next year would fit with that.

8. Xerotech macrumors 6502

Unibody made replacing things easier for noobs like myself. :)

9. Starfyre, Oct 19, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2013

Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

If I recall, the pre-unibody's ran pretty hot if you used it on your lap (due to the 5 year tech inside inside the pre-unibody). The air is much cooler and lighter.

10. sfs244 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think that could be it the keyboard and the heft of the machine make it feel a bit more solid

11. KeegM480 macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

Screen Size? I know I love my 15" MacBook Pro compared to my 13" MacBook Pro. Bigger capacity storage? I know some people also actually dont like how light the air is.