Anybody put Samsung M6 500 gb in MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by steffi, Jul 29, 2008.

1. steffi macrumors 6502a

Has anybody put the new Samsung M6 500 gb in MacBook Pro?

so far I've seen comments on vibration and heavy power consumption similar to 7200rpm drives.

Is anybody happy with having gone with this drive?

What is a suitable alternative?

2. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Ask Alphaod. He is the first person here to install one.

3. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

I have installed it.

No problems with it. I have not noticed any vibration problems and the drive is super quiet.

From my system profiler:

An alternative would be:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Hitachi/0A53487/
    But this is only for a 17" MBP as the drive height is 12.5mm and too tall for the smaller MBP 15".

4. steffi thread starter macrumors 6502a

That contradicts other reports so perhaps this is a case by case issue then.

If it's quiet and reliable and no vibration I can see myself being happy with my purchase.

Is the macsales On the Go enclosure decent? I have one of old FW400 ones and it's been pretty reliable. Hmm, now that I mention it that was bought from trans international since they provided the AC adaptor at the time but I'm sure it's the same enclosure.

5. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

The On the Go enclosures are excellent. That's how I do my upgrades.

I buy two complete On The Go drives (the same size) and then open one up and take out the drive. I then install it into my MBP and take the older MBP drive (from the MBP) and install it into the On The Go case. This allows me to reuse the drive for other purposes.

Now I have the internal matched to the other new external drive. I then use the new external drive to clone my internal drive.

I prefer the triple interface On the Go drives as it gives me additional connection options like Firewire 800/400/USB.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't notice increase power consumption, but it's definitely not silent. It does not vibrate.

7. Polska macrumors member

How to transfer the data?

Merlin,

Forgive me if I'm asking a silly question but, how did you transfer the data from one hard disk to the other? I just bought a 500Gb for my MBP and I'm in doubt the best way to do it considering that getting to an Apple Store they will install the HD I guess clean, with no MACOS or whatever. How to transfer from one to the other? (I also bought the kit on the go).

Thanks!
    Erick

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you use Time Machine you can install the drive and then boot into the Restore DVD, select Utilities, Restore from Time Machine.

OR

If you don't use Time Machine, you boot into the Restore DVD, select Utilities, Disk Utility, then select your new drive, create a new partition. Then select the new partion and select Restore; Drag the new partition into the box that says Destination and the original computer volume into the box that says Source. Check Erase Destination and restore; this will take a while. Afterwards transplant the drive and use Disk Utitlity and Repair Permissions just for the sake of it.

9. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Or just use Carbon Copy Cloner. My favorite way of cloning old drive to new.

10. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

SuperDuper is another cloning tool. This utility lets you to create a fully bootable backup for free. After registering SuperDuper, you can start using its advanced features.

11. Polska macrumors member

And RESTORE DVD you mean by the DVD that came with MBP or my MacOS dvd?

Thanks!

12. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

I use Carbon Copy Cloner. Did you buy a complete On the Go drive as well as the DIY kit giving you two drives? I am making an assumption that you now have 2 500GB drives.

If you bought two drives:
    First take one of the new "On the Go" (the complete one) drives and hook it up to your MBP. Then make of clone of your original internal HD to it. Then you can swap out the drive from your MBP with the other drive (DIY), boot from the clone and then clone back to the new internal drive.

If you purchased one (DIY) drive:
    If you purchased only one drive, just replace your internal with it and take your old drive and put it in the On the Go case (DIY). Connect the external to your MBP and boot from it. Then clone back to your new internal drive.

If you are a bit technically inclined, you can do the work yourself as far as replacing the drive in the MBP.

13. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

One thing I left out...

On the new drive(s), make sure you set the Partition Mapping Scheme to "GUID" using Disk Utility before you do any cloning or the NEW disk(s) will not be bootable.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Both will work.

15. Polska macrumors member

I did something wrong when restoring backup to new hard drive

Merl1n,

I think I did something wrong. I used SuperDuper! to backup my hard disk. Then when the new (500gb) hard disk was installed in my computer, got the old one and put inside a FireWiire case. Booting by the USB backedup SuperDuper HD, I CLONED the original hard disk to the new one inside the MBP. It seemed to work since the system is loading with no problem. I went to the Disk Utility and restore permissions. Now, when I plug my FireWire WD My Boook external drive, he is not recognized by the system. If I go to System Preferences, I can see an unknown device in the Firewire controller.

I did not restore the backup because I was cheap, I confess. I was not very fond of paying 30 euros to use a software once in my lifetime. Should I pay it?

The only weird thing that I noticed is that still appear when I boot, just before the Apple Logo, the Folder with a Question Mark indicating the Missing System Folder but the computer stills boot up. Any suggestions? Can you or anyone help this dumb and desperate Brazilian? :)

Thanks!
    Erick Pessoa

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Erick, you should have just used the Disk Utility to restore because:
    1) It's free
    2) It works
    3) It clones the partition table

17. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Carbon Copy Cloner meets these three criteria, and I believe SuperDuper does as well.

18. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

The Question Mark problem can be easily fixed by going into System Preferences -> Startup Disk and selecting your internal boot disk.

As far as the problem with the external WD drive, keep it disconnected and shut down.

Then reset your PRAM. After the boot completes, connect the drive and see if you still have the same problem.

I would also download OnyX (free maintenance program) and clean all of your caches (the hardware cache may be corrupted).

19. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

This is just your opinion and in my opinion you're wrong. You have to wait a LOT longer for disk utility to do the clone because it has to do a verification step on the image being restored (it least in my experience) Super Duper is free for the basic tasks and it works great with a pretty good throughput. So:
    1.) It's also free
    2.) It also WORKS (were you implying super duper doesn't?)
    3.) If you just want an image of your OS partition then cloning this isn't a positive...

Back on topic; the 500GB Samsung drive appears to be a bit cooler than my 7200 200GB Hitachi; haven't used it on battery enough to coment on the power consumption. I can say I've notice NO speed drop by going to the slower rotational speed. I think some of this has to do with the fact that it has more contiguous free space than my 200GB did but also I remember reading that once they pack the storage bits in and the density increases then you also see a speed improvement just because the heads are moving across more bits.

If people notice vibration issues I'd wonder if they got the drive back in properly on the install...might want to check for a screw loose :).

Anyway, it's fast; it's quite; it's HUGE!!! Going the OWC route and getting the FW800 enclosure is a great way to go about this. Highly recommended (at least by me).

Capacity: 465.76 GB
    Model: SAMSUNG HM500LI
    Revision: 2TF00_00
    Serial Number: S1PTJ10Q523854
    Native Command Queuing: Yes
    Queue Depth: 32
    Removable Media: No
    Detachable Drive: No
    BSD Name: disk0
    Mac OS 9 Drivers: No
    Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)
    S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified
    Volumes:
    OSX:
    Capacity: 465.44 GB
    Available: 299.95 GB
    Writable: Yes
    File System: Journaled HFS+
    BSD Name: disk0s2
    Mount Point: /

20. steffi thread starter macrumors 6502a

I picked up a Rocketfish enclosure at BB last night. It looks quite stylish compared to the On-The-Go enclosures. I have an old ATA one of those that's served me well but the Rocketfish enclosure is a lot smaller and will do the job of housing my existing internal drive.

http://www.rocketfishproducts.com/p...ve-enclosure-kit-for-25-sata-hard-drives.aspx

And there appears to be some retailers selling the Samsung M6 by itself without enclosures.

21. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

Ok so the enclosure looks better; now you get to choose between a slow USB 2.0 connection OR you get to stick a card out the side of your laptop AND plug in another wire for power to use eSATA. So you get to choose between the slow (compared to FW800) usb 2.0 connection or the oh so stylish card sticking out if the side/second power wire combo...

I have one of the Rocketfish enclosures and they are in fact SUPER solid and really well made, but for transferring 170GB of data and then housing the 7200 200GB drive I removed I just wanted more performance than USB 2.0 while still maintaining the convenience of something bus powered that uses a native (meaning no add on card) connection. Haven't have the best of luck with my eSATA card in fact...

22. Polska macrumors member

It worked!

Merl1n,

It worked perfectly. I was getting desperate because in the external WD was the movie that I have to edit. Thank you very much. Another question just out of curiosity; have you ever used the eSATA with a MBP? I bought an express Card with 2 eSATA ports (PNY) so I could transfer data faster but did not work. Have you ever tried?

thanks!
    Erick

23. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Okay.

24. marsbar macrumors newbie

I just installed the disk and somehow my computer feels slower now. What can this be? Anyone else experiencing the same?

25. griffd macrumors newbie

issues with slowness as well

marsbar, i too have the same issue. I upgrade from a 250gb WD Scrorpio, which is comparable in speed, but my machine feels sloooow. I can no longer run a virtual machine the same way as I used to. I have plenty of free space, but this speed is killing me. I did some tests and everything came out ok, except the random seek was much slower than normal (i attributed this to the large partition size). Also, every once and awhile , i get that infamous loud CLICK, as if the drive is re-calibrating. ANyone else having these issues or suggestions? Is my drive faulty? I used superduper to clone the drive.

-Dave