Anybody replace Mac Pro with MacBook Pro Retina?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by steffi, Jul 17, 2012.

1. steffi macrumors 6502a

My Mac Pro is a 3.33 hexacore and I'm considering upgrading since 6 Gb/s SATA and Thunderbolt are missing from the Mac Pro lineup and I don't really need a dedicated desktop at this time.

2. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

I traded an 8x2.8ghz harpertown (10gb, 9tb) and led cinema display for a maxed out mbpr. So far, everything has been smoother and faster on the mbpr. Living in 768gb (with 2tb portable external) will be a challenge, but I think it's worth it.

3. 7even macrumors 6502a

I replaced my quad-core PC with an rMBP. Does that count? :p

4. benguild macrumors 6502a

I had a MacPro1,1 and ended up getting this since I moved and didn't want to lug that with me. The fact that I couldn't natively run Mountain Lion on the Mac Pro without hacking was the end of it for me, and this computer is a serious upgrade in many regards.

Still getting used to designing on Retina, but so far so good. Miss the redundancy and speed of my RAID array, but SSD isn't bad. I've killed a MacBook Air's SSD before, though, so I'm relying heavily on "the cloud" with this machine as a mirror in case something happens. (which is fine.. we didn't have this stuff when I was on the Mac Pro)

Not sure about the gaming performance with the Retina display as I had a beast of a video card in the Mac Pro, but I'm sure it's fine.