Anybody replaced/reflowed GPU on Macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sonhascome, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Sonhascome macrumors 6502

I have a 13" 2.26ghz i2d macbook pro that I can only get to boot in safe mode. When I hook the hard drive up to an enclosure and USB port I still have the same issue. From looking around online I've gathered that its the GPU. My question is, is this something that I can do myself? Also if it is, where can I pick up a graphics card for it (is my best bet a used mbp on ebay?)? thanks for the input guys.

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

The GPU is soldered to the board. In order to replace it, the entire board needs to be replaced.

3. Sonhascome thread starter macrumors 6502

you can't remove it by heating it up?

4. simsaladimbamba

Yes, you cannot remove it via heating it up. It is not glued, it is soldered.

Just saw, that you have a 13" MBP, which has no dedicated GPU, but an integrated one, which means, it is located in the CPU or Northbridge, which again, are soldered chips.

5. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Can you buy totally new logic boards with the current IVY Bridge in a 2.7Ghz processor configuration to replace the former board?

When I think customizations I guess I am ignorant to think that there are tons of possibilities but I am learning there are real parameters which you have to follow, you can't just put together a super laptop computer like you can a desk top. Technology isn't light years apart in advancement from one build to another currently right?

6. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Maybe. If it will physically fit and all the connectors match 100%. Though that's unlikely between generations, you'd have to compare the two specifically.

Logic boards are really expensive anyway, it could be better financially to sell the machine as is and buy an upgraded model.

7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

It's the kind of question; "if you have to ask you can't do it."

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It can actually be done, you just have to have the equipment and knowledge of how to do it. We have this or one similar where I work:

http://www.ersa.com/art-smt-bga-rework-346-5009.html

That being said, it isn't something very many people are going to be able to do on their own. The tools are cost prohibitive, and it takes experience to do it correctly.

9. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

The only tools that can do this right, even at the low end, cost as much as the entire motherboard. You can find old, off lease IR rework stations for as low as $450, but again, why get a machine to do this very likely one time job which you will likely mess up the first time when you can buy another board or have someone else do it for that or less?