Anybody return high-res i7 for regular?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by steffi, May 27, 2010.

1. steffi macrumors 6502a

Working on my high-res and it's taking some getting use to.

Anybody choose to return high-res for regular?

My high-res is anti-glare

2. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

3. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Search or surf around here in this forum and you'll find some threads about it. You can try searching for posts by 'kilamite' that thread had some good comments.

4. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

That's why people need to try out the high res in person (all the different apps) to see if the small font is an issue. As much as I like the non-glossy high res screen, I would never get the high res due to the tiny fonts.

Apple needs to offer a non high res matte display or needs to implement resolution independence in OSX.

5. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I LOVE my high-res display. I can't see myself ever going back.

I started using my older MacBook Pro the other day to wipe out the disc, prepare it for eBay, etc, and I found all the windows / menus / buttons to be way too large! It got annoying :D. I love how I can fit way more on the screen here!

6. patrickf666 macrumors newbie

i also love my HR antiglare screen and would never want going back!

7. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I find the text slightly small but am a big fan of the extra pixels. If I had to do it again I'd make the same decision, and buy the HR AG screen again.

8. DadofThree macrumors newbie

At first the fonts seemed a bit small on my HR glossy, but I love the extra real-estate and I've gotten used to the size of the fonts now. No eye strain at all. It's definitely personal preference, though.

9. kolax macrumors G3

I found things were too small - menus, fonts, graphics on websites. It wasn't that I couldn't read them, they were just a bit uncomfortable and long periods of use I found my eyes far more tired.

Re-sizing fonts on a website wasn't really an option - you either resize the fonts on their own (which makes the layout of the website wrong since tables end up screwed) or scale the website up which results in the graphics being bigger but pixelated.

I can see why such a high-res screen is great, and don't get me wrong, the extra pixel real estate was nice.

110-115 pixels per inch is optimum. 1680x1050 is a great resolution to work when it is at around 110 ppi; it's a shame Apple doesn't offer standard resolution on the 17" anymore.

Just wish LCD displays would look as good as they do at their native resolution as they do at lower resolutions (like CRTs do).

10. SonicBoom1981 macrumors regular

Higher resolutionn devices are the way forward.. It's only a matter of time before the lower resolution ones are no longer easy to find.

11. negatv1 macrumors 6502

12. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

I returned mine initially because I had an antiglare and decided that I really wanted a gloss screen. Went back to the store and returned it and decided that since the font was a bit small and because I am a gamer and would take a small hit on performance with high res that I would not only pick up a gloss model but one with standard resolution as well.

That being said, I'm sure high-res will become the normal. When that happens I won't complain as It's really not that big of a deal and probably only a step forward when you get used to it. Hopefully the graphics cards are better then though so gamers don't have to scale down : )

13. Xyp macrumors newbie

15" i7 HR/AG

I ordered the HR / AG without ever seeing it in person, and I have to admit it took some getting used to. I very briefly considered returning it... I didn't, and I'm really glad: having the extra pixels is really beneficial in a lot of situations for me, and if the text is too small, I've gotten pretty quick at the "Command +" keystroke to take it up a notch.

Plus, it is just SO durn pretty. :)

14. mrCAMPO macrumors newbie

I agree :) That silver bezel really grows on you, and is satisfying knowing that you won't see as many people rocking one in a sea of ugly black glossy bezel screens :p

15. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Actually Apple procrastinated for years before releasing what the industry considers a medium resolution display @ just WSXGA+. So in fact this is not hi-res at all.

A true hi-res as offered on ThinkPads & other professional laptops are WSUXGA. That Apple finally woke up to the demand is another reason sales of MBP's are up.

16. skyaflya macrumors newbie

No one mentioned emulation

No one mentioned that you can toggle emulations. For instance I toggle to 1280 reading and back to 1920 when I need the resolution. I have the i7/8gb/128ssd/glossy. The emulations look great...