Anybody running FCE regularly on a Macbook???

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jayeskreezy, Oct 15, 2008.

1. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

I'm considering picking up a macbook and I wanted to know if there was anybody on here who regularly runs FCE on a macbook for heavy duty projects?

I have a 2.2ghz 2gb macbook pro, but I'm considering downgrading to a macbook b/c of 2gb and 2.4ghz processor. Any reviews/suggestions?

I'd love to hear from people with a macbook and see how it works. Can I get honest feedback too?

2. slu macrumors 68000

slu

I am going to be. They have great deals now at the University where I work on last gen Macbooks. I am going to pick one up tonight.

Now, that being said, I run FCE4 currently on a rev A iMac G5 with no issue at all. And I have done several significant projects are over an hour in length and have several cameras.

So, I think FCE will run great on a Macbook, but I don't think you will see a huge performance improvement over your MBP. It probably barley be noticeable, if at all.

And I hope you don't need firewire to capture your footage....

3. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I was running FCE (version 1, granted) on my 12" 1 GHz G4 PowerBook with 512 MB RAM, and it worked fine. No real-time rendering on a machine that old, but it worked. I imagine any MacBook would be able to run FCE decently.

Of course, with no Firewire on the newest version... :rolleyes:

4. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm sorry I meant to add that I'm looking at getting a Blackbook with 2.4ghz and 2gb ram. Is that a significant increase over the macbook pro?

5. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I cut a full XDCAM HD news package in FCP on a 2.2Ghz MacBook w/ 4GB RAM off the internal drive a few weeks ago. No problems at all. I've also cut several 30-minute talk shows in HDV without problems.

6. slu macrumors 68000

slu

I don't think you will see much of a performance improvement.

If I were you, I'd stick with the MBP, unless this is a financial decision.

7. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh ok koo. It would be a financial decision, but not really b/c after repurchasing applecare for the macbook it'd come out to about what i get for the mbp.

Mostly I just wanted it for the processor speed jump and the larger hard drive. I'm going to pick up a hard drive on ebay though to increase to 250gb. I've really outgrown the 120gb drive and it's making me limited.

8. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, it looks like we have run into some financial issues and I need to depart with my mbp, BUT I am looking into getting a 2.2ghz black macbook c2d. Any more opinions on how well this can handle final cut express?

9. marlin13 macrumors newbie

personally speaking I would stick with th MBP just for screen real estate alone, the smaller screen is a pain imho.

I currently own rather a lot of macs including an old 15" G4 powerbook and a newer 2ghz black macbook. The difference those 2 inches of screen size makes is I feel significant in affecting the speed of your workflow.

If ultimate portability is required I have no doubt the macbook will do the job

Sorry can't give specifics on FCE as I use either iMovie or FC

10. Artofilm macrumors 6502a

Artofilm

I use FCP Studio on my Macbook right now.
    It runs pretty good especially considering the size. The only drawback is the screen size, which is a little small for video editing.

Otherwise, it will handle smaller projects no problem!