Anybody Seen This Interview

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rolex54, Jun 13, 2008.

1. rolex54 macrumors 6502

Here is an interview engadget had with an at&t spokesperson

Chris asks: Can these devices be purchased and given as gifts?

No. You will need to walk out of the AT&T or Apple store with the device activated.

Greekjgg asks: What if I want to buy one for work which already uses AT&T for company account? I can't activate in store, obviously, so will it be possible to to buy without a contract?

We don't have details yet but iPhones for business use will likely be provisioned through your company's IT department.

Tons of people ask: If I purchase an original iPhone from a friend will I be able to get the old data plan pricing? Or will I need to sign up at the new, more expensive rate?

Yes. You can get the old data plan price if someone gives you a device and you establish service for yourself.

Chris and SeditioN VII ask: What's the no-commitment price?

We have not yet announced the unsubsidized price.

We follow up: So you WILL be able to buy it without the two year commitment?

We haven't announced whether or not that will be offered.

Vic asks: Will long-time customers who are otherwise eligible for a free or reduced-price handset upgrades be able to lower the price when buying the iPhone 3G?

No one will pay less than $199 for the 8GB or $299 for the 16GB models. As you know, those are subsidized prices.

Matt asks: Say I just recently signed up with AT&T, standard contract. Now I want to get an iPhone 3G -- will I have to pay more than $199 for the phone because it's subsidized? For example, if I were to upgrade to a Blackberry now, I can't get the advertised $99 price (because I am a new, existing subscriber); my price is $374.

It depends on whether or not you are eligible for an upgrade.

We ask: What is the penalty for not activating the phone in 30 days? How will that be enforced?

[no comment given]

Source

So at&t still basically still has no clue what they are doing, they cannot even answer basic simple questions. And I cannot wait to see that logistical and PR nightmare that occurs on July 11th when it takes 10 minutes to activate 1 iPhone and there are 150 people in line...

2. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

Thank you for posting that. For some reason Engadget crashes my browser at work (stuck with IE). Anyway, it definitely sounds like they are still hashing out the plans. Although, I remember with the first iPhone they didn't announce plan details until the last minute.

3. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

Wow, I guess nobody knows what the heck is going on and won't until july 11.

4. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I find that concept exciting.

I really hope it's not "this guy doesn't know anything" and rather it's "AT&T still hasn't decided."

It's possible that public opinion could cause them to offer more plans and options than they have already talked about.

6. jive turkey macrumors 6502

I'm guessing if you want to buy online you will have to purchase from the AT&T website so they can activate it before they ship. It WILL be available online, either July 11 or shortly thereafter. No way they cannibalize sales by refusing to sell them on the world's biggest storefront, the Internet.

As far as giving them as gifts, we will likely be given vouchers that the recipient takes to her AT&T store to exchange for the phone, at which time she will have to sign the contract to receive the item. If she refuses the 2 year agreement they will refund the cost of the phone to the buyer.

7. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

Please, I would love this. I would pay $599 for a 16GB no contract iphone.

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

For the original iPhone, AT&T and Apple didn't announce the plans or how activation was going to take place until about a month before they went on sale.

Although I guess it's possible that AT&T and Apple forgot everything they learned during the initial launch, I think that writing this off now as a likely "logistical and PR nightmare" (because things haven't been fully communicated) when there's still ~29 days left before the launch might be a little premature.

Out of curiosity, why?

9. phinnaeus macrumors member

I am not anticipating any lines where I live. One of the few advantages to living in a relatively small city. But I have nothing better to do, so I will probably be there at 8AM anyway. Bring a bag lunch!

Oh, and thanks for posting this.

10. newyorksole macrumors 68020

Wow so it looks like if you are not eligible for upgrade you will be paying $400 for 8GB and $500 for 16GB. Why Would Apple advertise the subsidized price and not even say that it's the subsidized price?..

11. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

Quick response? Because I think contracts are bunch of Bull****.

Its a simple way of being able to treat your customers like s**t without them being able to do anything about it other than pay to get out of their contract. I am a huge advocate for consumer rights and customer service. Customer service is dead in this country (USA). Contracts are just another way to dull competition because they make people wait to switch. Most people arent going to pay $200 to get out of their contract. If the feds would eliminate the contracts you would get treated much better by your cell phone company because they wouldn't want to lose you.

Its also why your bill is so high, just fyi. If contracts were eliminated you would see real competition come back to the cell phone business and you would pay a greatly reduced rate for those precious minutes of yours.

12. aristobrat macrumors G4

$599 = what you'd be willing to pay for a 16GB iPhone 3G without a contract

$475 = what it'd cost to buy a $299 16GB iPhone 3G on contract + $175 ETF to end the contract early

Are you are willing to pay the extra $125 just for the principal of the issue?

13. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

I want it to be free and clear, unlocked and usable how I wish. The numbers don't matter. Yes, it is the principal. Its the exact same principal that my parents taught me when I was young..... "If everyone jumped off the cliff, would you do it to?" kinda thing.

Just because they require contracts doesn't make it right. If everyone just continues to sign a contract they have nothing to worry about. Change happens when the masses get together. Unfortunately, the masses will never get together on the "no cell phone contract" thing because the cell phone has become a part of everyday life and most people cant afford to pay the unsubsidized price.

Keep watching though, you will start seeing the masses come together when we start paying $10.00 a gallon for gas in 2 more years.

14. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

Haha, it has conflicting things in it. Was this interview with the same person all at one time? WTF.

15. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

This has to be just the AT&T guy mis-speaking I guess since Steve Jobs said this at WWDC.
    The AT&T quote makes it sound like they will charge more than the 199/299.

Actually, the more I think about it the more mysterious it sounds, as Steve was very particular about the device *never* going for higher than that price. He made a point of saying it and he did not refer to it as a "subsidised price" either, he said that's the price and it's a maximum price you will ever pay.

So how could AT&T offer it for more without making Steve a liar? How could Apple for that matter?

Makes me think that something else is in the works. Either another model or another device altogether.

16. aristobrat macrumors G4

In that one case, it does sound like that's possible.