Anybody shipped his MacPro when moving to foreign country?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hajime, Jun 24, 2008.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

The MacPro is hugh and heavy. I don't think it is possible to carry it on the plane. What is the best way to ship it to foreign country? How likely will the computer be damaged during transportation? Is it better to ship using the original box? Will AppleCare cover such damages?

2. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Well, speaking they come from China to your door in that box, I'd say its safe.

Insure it for the entire amount of the computer, and back up all your data or pull your hard disks and take them with you on the plane, you can pad them in your clothing or so.

3. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

But the MacPro came with others in groups. So, the chance of getting damaged might have been be lower.

Is it better to ship it as "luggage" or by courier such as DHL? I heard that luggages are being thrown around at the airports. I certainly don't want this to happen to the computer.

4. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

I am very sorry.

5. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

I may move to another country few weeks later. Considering the risk of getting the machine damaged, is it much better to wait and buy it in the new country?

6. bandaros macrumors member

The padding inside the box is fairly decent I think. I'm flying mine out over 9000 miles in a month when I fly back to the States (kickin it in Borneo right now).

I should think that if you pull the harddisk(s) out the rest of it should be fine.

7. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Are you going to ship it as a luggage or by courier?

8. pol0001 macrumors 6502

pol0001

Courier

Ship your MacPro with a courier in it's original casing. They handle everything pretty careful. Their reputation is always at stake. When I moved from the States to Germany, I shipped some fragile stuff with a courier and everything arrived safely.

9. chedda macrumors 6502

Uk-Cyprus

i shipped my G5 and dual 30" cinema displays with the rest of my gear in a container by sea when i emigrated. I was very anxious but everything survived i had to reseat the ram after kernel panics that was it. The original boxes are the key to shipping ! Plus i bubble wrapped them and added insurance.

10. bandaros macrumors member

What pol0001 said. Courier would be the safest bet - box it in the original box and packaging, and get the courier people to bubblewrap it. Most if not all courier services I've used offer that option.