Anybody still have AT&T grandfathered unlimited data w/ iPhone 8?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wlow3, Sep 15, 2017.

1. wlow3 macrumors regular

I'm waiting till I can order the iPhone X but I want to hear from anyone who successfully retained their grandfathered AT&T unlimited data plan upon ordering the iPhone 8 (or at least anyone who has knowledge about this).

I retained it for my 6s but I believe I had to order directly from AT&T and not Apple. (I can't remember; I think it was just an option on the ordering page.)

Did any of you successfully do this? Is it still being offered? I know the downsides like no tethering but even with the price increases I think it still a good deal if you use the data.

2. gadgetfreaky macrumors 65816

your plan isn't tied to your phone. buy from apple- put your sim in. ATT wil not change anything man

3. wlow3 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I think I got the last of the their 2 year subsidized contracts and now that that is gone, I wonder if the grandfathered unlimited is gone too. It might not be such a good deal if I have to pay for the whole iPhone and still continue on paying the same month after month to AT&T. That's why I hope there is someone (besides an AT&T rep for now) who knows about the grandfathered unlimited plan now that the subsidized contracts are no longer.

4. stabile007 macrumors regular

stabile007

I have been on my original iphone unlimited plan from my iphone to my Lumia to my android and back to iPhone and I still have it with my 8+ order. Though I did order my iphones through Apple.

5. mizzou-apple macrumors regular

mizzou-apple

I kept mine when ordering 6+, 6S+ and again with the 7+ (all of those ordered through the Apple website). You'll be good to go.

6. tivoboy macrumors 68040

Still have grandfathered unlimited data and apparently still a subsidy available corporate account. Does anyone know how the process works this year? Can one order from apple, or does it have to be from AT&T? or through some odd corporate portal?

7. stabile007 macrumors regular

stabile007

My plan is a "corporate" account. I went through Apple without any issues directly. I am sure AT&T wopudl work fine too but I don't think it really matters AT&T's system actually works rather well through third parties with the exception of the whole authorized users only working at their corporate stores.

8. cnotes2019 Suspended

9. tivoboy macrumors 68040

What sort of corporate deal did you get, were you still getting a subsidy?

10. AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

I agree. I'm not pre ordering an iPhone 8 (waiting for the X) however, I've never lost my grandfathered unlimited data plan when buying a new iPhone.

11. TheBearman macrumors 6502

I thought I read earlier this year that AT&T was not allowing transfer of this plan to new devices. I know they've been jacking up the price in hope of folks dropping it.