Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
I'm looking for a cheap laptop to replace my poor 2008 MacBook, and I'm looking at getting a pre-Retina 15 inch. While spec wise it may not be a huge upgrade, that's not what I'm after as with more RAM and an SSD, my 2008 runs fine for me. Problems come down to repairs that need to be done, and the desire for a better display. I'll end up maxing out the RAM and putting in an SSD, so I imagine it should run fine, I won't be taxing this thing too hard (I need Mac apps, so Windows or others are off the table for now)

So for anyone still running these, what year/specs are you running? I probably will not go for a 2011 due to GPU failures, either 2010 or 2012 most likely.

Uddername

macrumors member
May 9, 2013
Definitely go for a 2012 as 2010 has capacitor issues and you're limited to 8gb RAM, Dual core processors and USB 2.0.

I'm based in the UK and I still sell the 2012 models. They're very popular and I'm often out of stock. The ability to install up to 4TB of SSD storage has been a real boost to the life of these machines.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I still have a working 2010 MBP. It's pretty frustrating to use these days. Slow (even with maxed out RAM and a SSD). Also runs pretty hot

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
So for anyone still running these, what year/specs are you running? I probably will not go for a 2011 due to GPU failures, either 2010 or 2012 most likely.

You're right to avoid 2011 models because of the GPU - which is a shame: I was using a 2011 17" until a bit over a year ago and it was a solid machine (I was using it for web development and some 1080p video work, as well as the basics)... until the second GPU gave out (the first was replaced under the free replacement program). Its still usable with the dGPU disabled but not for heavy lifting...

I also had a Mid 2010 13" MBP which was never very impressive speed-wise - even with an SSD it was sluggish and I don't think it was just the 4G of RAM, it was a compromise even when it was launched: Intel had launched the i-series but, in the process, shafted NVIDIA's chipsets with integrated graphics, which were better than Intel's integrated graphics. Apple decided to stick with the old Core 2 Duo CPUs in order to keep the slightly better GPU.

and the desire for a better display

I'm not aware that the displays changed significantly between 2008 and the 2012 non-retina: still 1280x800 for the 13" and 1440x900 for the 15"... The Unibodies had a glossy glass sheet in front, which is a love/hate feature.

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
You're right to avoid 2011 models because of the GPU - which is a shame: I was using a 2011 17" until a bit over a year ago and it was a solid machine (I was using it for web development and some 1080p video work, as well as the basics)... until the second GPU gave out (the first was replaced under the free replacement program). Its still usable with the dGPU disabled but not for heavy lifting...

I also had a Mid 2010 13" MBP which was never very impressive speed-wise - even with an SSD it was sluggish and I don't think it was just the 4G of RAM, it was a compromise even when it was launched: Intel had launched the i-series but, in the process, shafted NVIDIA's chipsets with integrated graphics, which were better than Intel's integrated graphics. Apple decided to stick with the old Core 2 Duo CPUs in order to keep the slightly better GPU.

I'm not aware that the displays changed significantly between 2008 and the 2012 non-retina: still 1280x800 for the 13" and 1440x900 for the 15"... The Unibodies had a glossy glass sheet in front, which is a love/hate feature.
I'm not sure if you've heard about the 2008 unibody MacBook screen issues then. The screen has awful viewing angles, you cannot get even black levels no matter what angle the screen is at, and if you tilt it at all it can go negative. It also has absolutely terrible color reproduction compared to even a PowerBook G4. Sadly they didn't use good panels in that model. So any MBP screen will be better than it. Not a huge resolution snob, I was using monitors with less than 80 PPI for quite some time.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I loved my 2008 MacBook Pro 17 until the screen died in 2018. I don't think that it's worth the risk unless you can still get a hold of a good screen (there were two types and one of them routinely failed). Those are getting very long in the tooth.

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
I am still using my mid 2012 non retina, maxed out the ram and upgraded the drive to ssd 500g got it running Catalina - works great

That said, it’s probably worth checking out the price difference between that model and a 2015 MacBook Pro which is still upgradeable in terms of the SSD - these models feature a quad core processor and has a retina screen probably available at a decent price for a used version, but would make sure the ram is 16 gig since the ram is soldered and not upgradable

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
I am still using my mid 2012 non retina, maxed out the ram and upgraded the drive to ssd 500g got it running Catalina - works great

That said, it’s probably worth checking out the price difference between that model and a 2015 MacBook Pro which is still upgradeable in terms of the SSD - these models feature a quad core processor and has a retina screen probably available at a decent price for a used version, but would make sure the ram is 16 gig since the ram is soldered and not upgradable
The price difference on a 15-inch is quite extreme in good condition, I'm not willing to spend more than $350 on one and I can't find Retinas for less than $750 from my searching. A retina would be a nice device screen wise, but I like having the Firewire 800 port and audio in. Having easier upgrades is nice too, and if I went for a 2008-10 I could also get into Rosetta still.

Reactions: mikzn

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
The price difference on a 15-inch is quite extreme in good condition, I'm not willing to spend more than $350 on one and I can't find Retinas for less than $750 from my searching. A retina would be a nice device screen wise, but I like having the Firewire 800 port and audio in. Having easier upgrades is nice too, and if I went for a 2008-10 I could also get into Rosetta still.

2012 15 inch MBPs go around $550 - $600 in my area which is only a but less than 2013s and 2014s. I guess it depends on the pricing in your local market.

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver

good points - here are a few more thoughts . . .

I have a 2015 rMPP and a 2012 MBP both have i7's and 16g mem - that said the 2015 has 4 cores vs the 2 cores with the 2012 - but - I have a hard time noticing any performance differences between them - the main thing I notice is the 2012 is heavier and thicker.

IMHO - the reason the 2012 holds it's vaue so well is it is still "relevantly fast" (still offers good performance) and has ... - like you mentioned, firewire 800 port, ethernet port, "sound in" and -(for me a nice feature) - an 8X superdrive - all add up to "good value" ?

Plus upgrades are possible, easy and not expensive

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
F*uck yeah! I'm rocking two 2012 cMBP, a 13" and a 15" both i7 models and mint condition! They are maxed out at 16GB RAM and have SSDs installed. I've basically owned every unibody model. I even owned the 2012 rMBP but sold it after I found out it had video card issues.

These are solid models because the battery, ram and SSD, even the optical drive can be swapped. I think I'll use these until they can't be used any longer.

I should also add, the 15" cMBP had an option for a high resolution (1680x1050) screen in matte and glossy. I have the matte model. I've never seen a glossy high res model. Might be like a unicorn. ?

Reactions: mikzn

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
F*uck yeah! I'm rocking two 2012 cMBP, a 13" and a 15" both i7 models and mint condition! They are maxed out at 16GB RAM and have SSDs installed. I've basically owned every unibody model. I even owned the 2012 rMBP but sold it after I found out it had video card issues.

These are solid models because the battery, ram and SSD, even the optical drive can be swapped. I think I'll use these until they can't be used any longer.

I should also add, the 15" cMBP had an option for a high resolution (1680x1050) screen in matte and glossy. I have the matte model. I've never seen a glossy high res model. Might be like a unicorn. ?

Matte is usually used for real work.

Reactions: pullman

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
I'd like to get a mid-2012 13" MacBook Pro to use in place my late 2009 unibody MacBook, but I don't know if it'll support Mac OS 10.16 when that comes out next year, and I want a good Mac laptop that'll support newer Mac OS versions for quite some time, hopefully surpassing once my 2012 quad-core Mac Mini can't do that anymore.

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
I'm not sure if you've heard about the 2008 unibody MacBook screen issues then. The screen has awful viewing angles, you cannot get even black levels no matter what angle the screen is at, and if you tilt it at all it can go negative. It also has absolutely terrible color reproduction compared to even a PowerBook G4. Sadly they didn't use good panels in that model. So any MBP screen will be better than it. Not a huge resolution snob, I was using monitors with less than 80 PPI for quite some time.

I am running mid-2012 non-retina MBP and late-2008 MB side by side and have to say that inferiority of the late-2008 MB screen is only a matter of personal opinion and preference. It is not a fact by any means. The colour on a mid-2012 is more yellowish if that's what you prefer(turning NightShift on makes it even more yellow). The colour on a late-2008 screen is more natural.

P.S. As far as I know the only inferior part of the late-2008 MB is its original battery.

jacksam101

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2006
Crewe (UK)
I had a 2012 MBP (i7 2.9) until a couple of years ago when I tried the 2015 Macbook (1.3 512GB SSD) which was great for portability when travelling but underpowered; even FaceTime suffered if you were on for more than 15 mins.
I've been looking about over the last 12 months for new MBP vs second hand (prices are still really high for 2015/2016/2017 MBPs) and kept reading about the issues people were having with various models - but this week saw my ideal device; A 2012 i5 MBP from Music Magpie on eBay for £215 delivered. I've upped the ram, added SSD and will swap out Superdrive for 2TB HDD - it absolutely flies with Catalina installed. I had a replacement battery ready but the installed one only has 178 cycles and holds full charge.

bobnugget

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
England
My wife and I have two 2012 15" MBPs - they are great machines, and I'd recommend them. Please be aware Apple may kill OS support with the next macOS, so you've got a minimum of 2 years security updates on it.

Spec wise it's a huge upgrade. You're getting double the CPU cores, and they are all faster, along with dedicated graphics.

I've upgraded mine to a matte 1680x1050 display, 2 TB SSD and 16 GB RAM. Fantastic machine - I'll be using it until security updates stop or the logic board fails. Worryingly, my wife's one is showing signs of the GPU failure that kills the retina models.

Last edited:

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
I am running mid-2012 non-retina MBP and late-2008 MB side by side and have to say that inferiority of the late-2008 MB screen is only a matter of personal opinion and preference. It is not a fact by any means. The colour on a mid-2012 is more yellowish if that's what you prefer(turning NightShift on makes it even more yellow). The colour on a late-2008 screen is more natural.

P.S. As far as I know the only inferior part of the late-2008 MB is its original battery.
I've researched this a lot, I was one of those who was extremely upset when I got one and the screen sucked. There are multiple panels used in it, the main three being the 9c89, 9c8c, and 9c8a. There was also another panel that was available during the last few months that was much improved, and would appear closer to the MBPs. These panels were not reused in any other product, so that is technically false. What the manufacture date on your unit?

It's most noticeable in view angles, I could provide pictures of my 9c8c screen if you'd like. You can also look at the early posts of the 'I just bought my new MBP' thread for some comparisons of the 2008 uMB and the 13 inch Pro.
[automerge]1571562373[/automerge]
My wife and I have two 2012 15" MBPs - they are great machines, and I'd recommend them. Please be aware Apple may kill OS support with the next macOS, so you've got a minimum of 2 years security updates on it.

Spec wise it's a huge upgrade. You've getting double the CPU cores, and they are all faster, along with dedicated graphics.

I've upgraded mine to a matte 1680x1050 display, 2 TB SSD and 16 GB RAM. Fantastic machine - I'll be using it until security updates stop or the logic board fails. Worryingly, my wife's one is showing signs of the GPU failure that kills the retina models.
I wasn't aware that the 2012s had GPU issues. I'm not too worried about OS updates, I'm still using Sierra on my main machines, I like to wait for all the updates to come out nowadays, as we've seen Catalina is problematic for many.

bobnugget

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
England
I've researched this a lot, I was one of those who was extremely upset when I got one and the screen sucked. There are multiple panels used in it, the main three being the 9c89, 9c8c, and 9c8a. There was also another panel that was available during the last few months that was much improved, and would appear closer to the MBPs. These panels were not reused in any other product, so that is technically false. What the manufacture date on your unit?

It's most noticeable in view angles, I could provide pictures of my 9c8c screen if you'd like. You can also look at the early posts of the 'I just bought my new MBP' thread for some comparisons of the 2008 uMB and the 13 inch Pro.

I wasn't aware that the 2012s had GPU issues. I'm not too worried about OS updates, I'm still using Sierra on my main machines, I like to wait for all the updates to come out nowadays, as we've seen Catalina is problematic for many.

They aren't supposed to. The retina 2012's have NVidia graphics issues and were recalled alongside the 2011 unibodies. I'd guess it's the thinner body and higher temperatures/lower airflow of the retina design. The unibody 2012 has the same graphics chip as the retina (GeForce 650m), but was never recalled. I think graphics issues on them are very rare, as opposed to near guaranteed as they were on the 2011 unibody machines.

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia

Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 3.41.03 pm.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.