Anybody think a touch screen iMac will be coming soon?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Delighted, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Delighted macrumors 6502

Delighted

Rumors about a touch screen iMac surfaced a couple of years ago but so far nothing yet. I am really hoping that Apple will release one soon. I am so excited.

2. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

I doubt it. Touch-based iMac concepts came out a few years ago because Apple didn't know if the iPad would be a success. Now Apple keeps telling us were slowly moving into the post-PC era. I think desktops like the Mac Pro and iMac will slowly die in the next couple of years. A touch-based MacBook Pro is more likely, in my opinion ... until iPads get the same kind of power current MBPs have.

3. Flood123 macrumors 6502a

Flood123

no. Imagine how fun it would be to constantly have to clean the screen of your shinny new iMac.

4. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Go to your local Best Buy and use the touch screen HP that should be on display.

According to a friend of mine who works there, they haven't sold a single one. You'll see why 30 seconds after playing with it.

5. dot.ducky macrumors newbie

My dad has a Dell touchscreen all-in-one thing... We messed with it for about 5 minutes. The screen never got touched again. I blame it on the computer being a desktop computer. It's just not meant to be touched by nature.

6. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

7. Cloud Prod macrumors newbie

Why does this keep getting mentioned, and why would you possibly want such a feature? It's a horrible idea

Apple has already said they are against this

Source

8. leman macrumors 604

Apple has clearly stated that it does not believe in touch-enabled iMacs, for all your touch needs you have the trackpad. Touchscreen works well for tablet-sized, horizontal surfaces but for desktop-sized computers, its ergonomics is horrible.

9. bungiefan89 macrumors 6502a

Grrrr... beat me to it...
    Yeah, the point is, I don't think we'll ever see something like a touch-screen iMac for the same reasons Steve Jobs lays out in this video starting at the 11:27 mark.

10. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Not me.

11. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Don't get your hopes up too high. There are ergonomic issues to work through and Steve Jobs even said, that it just wouldn't work right. The screen needs to be horizontal or at low angle because fatigue will set it quickly using a touch screen that is vertical.

We all saw the patent drawings of an iMac with a tilt screen, but I doubt we'll see anything like that soon.

12. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

They then patented a touchscreen iMac where the screen tilts back so it would no longer be vertical.

[​IMG]

13. BeamWalker macrumors 6502

BeamWalker

Hold your arm up high so that your fingers are at the same height as your nose. Do that for 10 minutes and you know why this a bad idea.

14. simsaladimbamba

Could you tell us why you are excited?
    What is the advantage of a 27" touch screen? Do you think, you can be more productive with touching every element on the screen than with moving a mouse pointer to that screen? Do you think you can do that, touching the screen, all day long or even for an hour? Do you think you arms will keep up with that? Do you think you will be as precise as with a mouse or even trackpad?
    Have you actually thought about a desktop touchscreen concept and what it would entail, other than some novelty?

I mean, even for FacialBuuk users it would get tiresome fast.

PS: Why?

15. Schnellpanzer macrumors newbie

Chiropractors dream

Touchscreen on a vertical screen is any chiropractors dream.
    3D is any eyedoctors and migraindoctors dream.

I really hope the new iMac stays far away from these solutions.

16. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Snatching up a patent doesn't mean they're going to use it. It means they don't want anyone else to use it without paying them for it.

17. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

But it also means they aren't not going to use it ;)

18. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Apple has thousands of patents they've never used.

19. Skeith macrumors newbie

then i will be so screwed for waiting for the refresh~ :(

20. Kryptik.Kode macrumors member

Kryptik.Kode

I personally hope they keep away from touch screen iMacs forever.

21. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Largely so they can sue someone later when they try to use their patent without realizing.

Really though, As everyone has said, Apple patents a lot of stuff that they never use. All tech companies do. It's called protecting their Intellectual Property. They came up with it, and, whether they use it or not, they paid someone (i.e. their employee) to come up with the idea so either they use it in their own designs or later they get licensing fees from another company who wants to use their idea. Further, Apple has a ton of Patent Lawyers that they have to keep busy (although I am sure the lawsuits with Samsung are keeping them pretty busy right now), so why not have them constantly working on the paperwork of patenting whatever random idea comes out of Jonny Ive's (and his team) head?

----------

Agreed. God I hate HP Touchsmart All-in-ones....

22. Doug-Baker macrumors newbie

My kids already touch our iMac screen

We have dozens of fingerprints on our iMac screen already! And my kids are teenagers. Ha!

23. iAppleseed macrumors regular

The iMac IS already on Multi-touch. The Trackpad. It's the best form of Multi-touch on a desktop computer. Period.

24. WillGaspari macrumors newbie

Love

I would absolutely LOVE a touch screen iMac, and have been patiently waiting. As a DJ, I think a touch screen surface would be ideal.

Anyone out there ever use an iMac enabled with "Troll Touch" technology? Wondering if anyone has any feedback regarding responsiveness. If Apple doesn't include touch screens with the refresh, I might have to go that route.