Anybody think a touch screen iMac will be coming soon?

Delighted

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
Rumors about a touch screen iMac surfaced a couple of years ago but so far nothing yet. I am really hoping that Apple will release one soon. I am so excited.

MarkMS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
I doubt it. Touch-based iMac concepts came out a few years ago because Apple didn't know if the iPad would be a success. Now Apple keeps telling us were slowly moving into the post-PC era. I think desktops like the Mac Pro and iMac will slowly die in the next couple of years. A touch-based MacBook Pro is more likely, in my opinion ... until iPads get the same kind of power current MBPs have.

chrono1081

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Go to your local Best Buy and use the touch screen HP that should be on display.

According to a friend of mine who works there, they haven't sold a single one. You'll see why 30 seconds after playing with it.

dot.ducky

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2011
My dad has a Dell touchscreen all-in-one thing... We messed with it for about 5 minutes. The screen never got touched again. I blame it on the computer being a desktop computer. It's just not meant to be touched by nature.

Cloud Prod

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2012
Why does this keep getting mentioned, and why would you possibly want such a feature? It's a horrible idea

Apple has already said they are against this

We've done tons of user testing on this, and it turns out it doesn't work. Touch surfaces don't want to be vertical
Source

leman

macrumors G4
Oct 14, 2008
Rumors about a touch screen iMac surfaced a couple of years ago but so far nothing yet. I am really hoping that Apple will release one soon. I am so excited.
Apple has clearly stated that it does not believe in touch-enabled iMacs, for all your touch needs you have the trackpad. Touchscreen works well for tablet-sized, horizontal surfaces but for desktop-sized computers, its ergonomics is horrible.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Don't get your hopes up too high. There are ergonomic issues to work through and Steve Jobs even said, that it just wouldn't work right. The screen needs to be horizontal or at low angle because fatigue will set it quickly using a touch screen that is vertical.

We all saw the patent drawings of an iMac with a tilt screen, but I doubt we'll see anything like that soon.

BeamWalker

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2009
Hold your arm up high so that your fingers are at the same height as your nose. Do that for 10 minutes and you know why this a bad idea.

Nov 28, 2010
located
I am so excited.
Could you tell us why you are excited?
What is the advantage of a 27" touch screen? Do you think, you can be more productive with touching every element on the screen than with moving a mouse pointer to that screen? Do you think you can do that, touching the screen, all day long or even for an hour? Do you think you arms will keep up with that? Do you think you will be as precise as with a mouse or even trackpad?
Have you actually thought about a desktop touchscreen concept and what it would entail, other than some novelty?

I mean, even for FacialBuuk users it would get tiresome fast.

PS: Why?

Schnellpanzer

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2012
Norway
Chiropractors dream

Touchscreen on a vertical screen is any chiropractors dream.
3D is any eyedoctors and migraindoctors dream.

I really hope the new iMac stays far away from these solutions.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
But it also means they aren't not going to use it ;)
Largely so they can sue someone later when they try to use their patent without realizing.

Really though, As everyone has said, Apple patents a lot of stuff that they never use. All tech companies do. It's called protecting their Intellectual Property. They came up with it, and, whether they use it or not, they paid someone (i.e. their employee) to come up with the idea so either they use it in their own designs or later they get licensing fees from another company who wants to use their idea. Further, Apple has a ton of Patent Lawyers that they have to keep busy (although I am sure the lawsuits with Samsung are keeping them pretty busy right now), so why not have them constantly working on the paperwork of patenting whatever random idea comes out of Jonny Ive's (and his team) head?

----------

I personally hope they keep away from touch screen iMacs forever.
Agreed. God I hate HP Touchsmart All-in-ones....

Doug-Baker

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2012
My kids already touch our iMac screen

We have dozens of fingerprints on our iMac screen already! And my kids are teenagers. Ha!

iAppleseed

macrumors regular
May 11, 2011
The iMac IS already on Multi-touch. The Trackpad. It's the best form of Multi-touch on a desktop computer. Period.

WillGaspari

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2012
Love

I would absolutely LOVE a touch screen iMac, and have been patiently waiting. As a DJ, I think a touch screen surface would be ideal.

Anyone out there ever use an iMac enabled with "Troll Touch" technology? Wondering if anyone has any feedback regarding responsiveness. If Apple doesn't include touch screens with the refresh, I might have to go that route.