iPhone SE Anybody think Apple would make an SE sized iPhone X?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fusion79, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Fusion79 macrumors 6502

IMO this would be perfect. An iPhone X in the footprint of an SE. Anybody think Apple would do it. Maybe make that smaller sized phone the "mainstream" iPhone going forward and the current X model the "plus" model. I think the 8/8+ were a fallback this year because they could not get AMOLED production to the numbers they needed and the price of the X is too high to be a mainstream phone. Here is hoping the 8/8+ is the last year of that particular iPhone design and its all AMOLED going forward.

2. andreyush macrumors 6502

andreyush

If another SE will be made. Then "SE" is not relevant anymore. First SE was special because the 5/5s design was so loved. A second one would be meh edition.

3. yep-sure macrumors 6502

yep-sure

I hope not. A large part of the SE's appeal is it's simplicity and great user experience. Leave the gimmicks in the flagship devices, and let people who want simplicity and reliability keep the SE. It's perfect as is.

All they need to do us update the processor, RAM and storage every 2-3 years. Maybe thrown in 2nd Gen TouchID. I'd keep buying one, and I bet thousands of others would too.

4. KittyKatta, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017

KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

I love big screens an all, but the general public favors 4.3" - 4.7" sized devices. So it would be nice to have seen a 5" screen on a smaller device as an option.

Hopefully next year they expand in new phone choices rather than just regurgitating old designs.

5. matty.p macrumors 6502

I think their long term strategy is to have a slightly larger 'X' family phone and then a slightly smaller one as well. They can have three sizes to fit the three different markets that appeal to people. It'll just take a few years to get there.

6. animatedude macrumors 65816

No, what will happen is they will release a smaller version of the iPhone 8, add iPhone 7 internals to it, and they will release a bigger version of the X.

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Rumors indicate the iPhone X will be offered
    In a 6.4 display next year.

8. Ladybug macrumors 68000

Ladybug

I think the notch would be a huge no-no on a device as small as the SE since there isn't that much available screen space on a 4 inch device to begin with. That said I'd love a SE2 but if it followed the X design I certainly wouldn't buy one for reasons above.

9. animatedude macrumors 65816

I know, that's why i said they will offer that at some point in the future, plus a smaller version of the 8 for the SE crowd like me.

10. protoxx macrumors 6502a

protoxx

Maybe when Apple is producing the iphone XIV or XV.

11. Relentless Power, Sep 24, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

What Do you mean a "Smaller version the iPhone 8?" Next year is only rumored for two iPhones, a 5.8 and 6.4 OLED. The SE is expected to be updated, but likely will be incremental internally with some minor physical enhancements.

12. PieTunes Contributor

PieTunes

I highly doubt we will see an iPhone SEX anytime soon. Trying to shove all those components into a smaller form factor is probably nigh impossible with current technologies and manufacturing processes, unless major compromises were done.

13. Ladybug macrumors 68000

Ladybug

I doubt they would call it the SEX ..just because. Perhaps SE2 or XS as in extra small.

14. ultravisitor macrumors 6502a

ultravisitor

Really? You think Apple would name their phone something that sounds like iPhone Excess?

15. PieTunes Contributor

PieTunes

True, if they managed to make one, it might come out next year so it would be the iPhone SEXI.

16. Ladybug macrumors 68000

Ladybug

Haha well who really knows what Apple will do? I just hope they make an se2 no matter what they call it.

17. animatedude macrumors 65816

You mean the same SE design with internal differences? i highly doubt that man...

I prefer the SE design actually, i wouldn't mind they keep it , but i think it's quite clear the SE is just a one-off thing like the iPhone C.

If you take the SE design , remove the headphone jack, make it thinner, you will end up with a design which is similar of the iPhone 7/8 design...

I say keep the same SE design, remove the headphone jack, make it edge to edge screen, it will be the thinnest design ever, and let's call it the iPhone Air, now THAT would be the sexiest iPhone design ever!

18. tresmith macrumors 6502

One can pray.

I can definitely see them making a smaller iPhone X so that it's in the same proportion to the iPhone 8 as the iPhone X is to the iPhone plus.

So it would have a bigger screen than the 8 but have a smaller body 8.

They should have come out with the iPhone X and the iPhone X Plus.

19. HarryWild macrumors 65816

HarryWild

I would pay the same price as the X for a SE size 4.5" OLED iPhone with all the latest components. Apple will never do it since they think small means "budget or entry level". In this respect, Apple is stupid!