Anybody think this is legit?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by SuperDudeMax, May 28, 2012.

1. SuperDudeMax macrumors newbie

SuperDudeMax

2. rossmosis macrumors newbie

A friend of mine from the Surplus store I go to told me a story about how he used to live in California near where these are made. He went dumpster diving one day, not sure if it was an Apple dumpster or one nearby, but he found one of these exact machines, though it was even an earlier prototype, not yet refined to the point of looking like it could be sold yet. He said he had sold it a little bit later and got enough money for it to buy a legit Macintosh since he had found it after they had come out. I doubt Apple would've let a prototype like that just sit in a dumpster before the actual thing had come out, I think he said this was around 85 or 86. Pretty cool hearing about a part of the Macintosh history firsthand, that machine isn't worth anywhere near the amount they are asking on eBay though...

3. WG81402 macrumors newbie

It's real, but the seller is a known as a dickheaded con artist. He tricked the previous owner into selling it to him REAL cheap so he could make an enormous profit off of it. Rumor is he only paid $300 for it.

That, and he's a hoarder. He buys up everything rare, and then offers it at insane prices if people are looking for it. I know a lot of people that know him, and they know he's a real clown.

4. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

If anyone pays $100,000 US for that Macintosh, they need to be euthanized.

5. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

I can't say anything about Apple, but I do know Atari used to throw their stuff in the dumpsters.

6. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

I like that someone offered him $5 for it...