Anybody TM over Wireless

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chefwong, Jun 28, 2013.

1. chefwong macrumors regular

Thank good for Super Duper, CC and external hard drives- aka, the double backup.

Just got my MBP back from Applecare.
    They changed the mainboard.
    I do *backup* to volume on my Synology over WIRED and it's been flawless.
    There is other data in that volume that is just fine. However, my TM file is corrupt so *back in time* is gone. OSX won't import it in, I can't browse the file via finder, etc.

So for all you guys running backps, always have a backup to your backup...

2. zipur macrumors 6502

Time machine my Time Machine, I thought golf was expensive!

3. ColdCase macrumors 68030

TM to devices not officially supported by Apple (like the synology NAS) have always seem to be troublesome. Unfortunately you do not discover this until you need the backup. I've read numerous similar posts over the years, and even a few that used a TC. The TM backup to alternating drives that is supported by OS10.8 comes in handy sometime.

4. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I run a TM backup to my Qnap, but I also use CCC to create a clone on my external drive, well two external drives. One of which gets taken offsite. The back up offers no protection against theft/fire and what not, so if something happens to my house at least my data is safe.

6. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

I certainly wouldn't rely on it for my sole backup, only as a 'recycle bin' sort of thing to get back recent versions.. TM over wireless, even to a TC, is a risk, as the way TM works is instead of having a backup protocol like other systems it simply mounts the image as a drive and writes to it.. if close the lid on your laptop during a backup (which it's easy to do if you're not looking for it) then there's a reasonable chance that your backup - and its entire history (because another problem with TM is the backups are all dependent on each other) just went poof.

I currently backup to a TC and OSX wants to wipe and restart the backup maybe once a month.. which I'm fine with, as CCC keeps the proper backups.

7. chefwong thread starter macrumors regular

I run SD onto a External, TM as well as having the entire NAS array backed up *offsite*.

Granted, I knew about the inherent issues with TM to a NAS and have never run TM over Wireless - just wired. Just sort of eye opening when I got my MBP and due to the logic board change (hardware signature) it wanted to inherit my TM volume and poof, it went corrupt.

8. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

I do Time Machine backups of the wifes MBP and our daughters iMac via wireless (to a time capsule) and haven't see any issues for the past 2 years. Moving forward I'm looking at a raid nas device vs the single spindle in the time capsule, as we need more storage and something a bit more robust with regards to data integrity.