Anybody torn between Slate and MBP?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Canuckistan, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Canuckistan macrumors member

Hello,

Yes, I know the Slate hasn't shown its face yet, but I'm just wondering if anybody waiting for the MBP (or MB) refresh is giving much thought to opting for the Slate.

The Slate, it seems, will lack a "real" keyboard, but how long before some wunderkind or wunderkompany comes up with a base station for the Slate... a base that incorporates a "real" poundable keyboard.

The Slate may well lack the power of even the entry 13" MBP, but if the base station materializes, you get, in a sense, two computers... The truly portable and the deskbound.

One wonders if the Slate will be hookable to an external monitor.

Heck, imagine the Slate as a bridge between "external" (base station) keyboard and an external monitor.

Perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree or just barking mad!

2. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

I doubt the slate will even be able to do half of what any notebook can do. If I can't do something as simple as typing in a word processor and printing it out, I wouldn't buy one.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The Macbook Pro is for someone who needs a computer. The Slate, if real, is for someone who wants a diversion.

4. barkomatic macrumors 68040

It's hard to compare a rumored, unrealeased product with an existing one.

I'm in the market for a 17 inch MBP so I doubt a tablet from Apple will come close to what I want. However, I'll still be interested to see what niche the rumored tablet might fill. You can never truly anticipate what Apple will release. Perhaps the rumors are wrong and there will be a 17 inch tablet with a full powered core i7 and blu-ray drive. :) Yes, I'm kidding.

5. phrint macrumors 6502

I thought about the slate but I need to replace my 5 year-old Powerbook G4. Therefore I need a MBP. I will give the slate a thought for my wife thought but we will have to see what it is all about. All the speculation is just that. Apple may have a winner on its hands or it may have a dud. We'll see.

6. Spandexman macrumors regular

I'l be upgrading partly because I want a bigger screen, so dropping from my 13" to a 10" doesn't thrill me :) However, if they're a good price, i might getting one as well as my new 17" MBP. Depends on what functionality it offers too. If it's a low powered computer, probably not, if it is actually a new type of device, it might be good. As someone already said, it's really difficult to say before we actually know any details about the item. Even the 10" thing's a guess, it could be 7".

7. sishaw macrumors 65816

sishaw

You never know what might drop on 1/27

If one is in the market for anything Apple, one might want to wait just to see what comes out during the announcement.

There are SO many threads on this forum that begin with: "Now that the new XY is out, can I return my XX?"

8. justit macrumors 6502a

Answer is simple:

A slate will never replace a MBP nor a MB. (Why would Apple give up $1Bs in current sales?)

If you love your iPhone & iPhone apps but want a bit 'more' (the 'more' is the big unknown) get the slate

Slate will be incredibly lame if it can't bluetooth a keyboard.

9. Cathode macrumors regular

Cathode

I work as a computer tech in an all Mac school district. I find myself carrying my MacBook Pro frequently around to the various schools for various purposes (Target Disk Mode, AirPort Utility, FileMaker Pro, etc). I would love to have a more portable device that could do this. I'm hopeful that this rumoured tablet can fill this role.

10. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I personally don't see how you can debate between the two for the same purposes.

First, I guess the most glaring factor is that Apple tries VERY hard not to have their products not conflict with each other in terms of sale. Each line generally has a demographic they're looking at.

Second, there have been other tablets that run Windows. Let's not turn this into a OS X vs. Windows debate. I don't see how putting OS X makes Apple's tablet more productive than others running Windows. I'm pretty sure Apple's tablet will have productivity software but it won't be the main focus simply for the fact it won't have a physical keyboard. Sure touchscreen keyboard works for short message like SMS and short e-mails but I doubt anyone is going to buy Apple's tablet and start writing 20 page essays on it.

Like others have said, if you're looking for a more extended entertainment gadget from an iPhone or iPod Touch, you're going to strongly consider Apple's tablet but no way are you going to debate whether or not you should get one of Apple's portable or the Slate especially for the rumoured $1000 price tag.

11. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Apples and...ummm...oranges. If you are debating between the two you have no idea what you really need.

12. justit macrumors 6502a

:(

I think your use case will be outside that of the Tablet:

TDM via FW I doubt, think of what they did with the MBA (no FW) and strip it down even further for a tablet.

BTW, have you tried Bento for iPhone? easily one of the best DB apps

I think it's safe to theorize that software that can run on the iPhone will run at some point on Tablet, but nothing more.

13. coast1ja macrumors 6502

I agree with all of you... the tablet will be more like a Kindle with apps, not really a notebook replacement.

If anything it may poach some sales from the MacBook Air, and only from those that really enjoy the portability and only do web browsing... in which case I would suggest a netbook.

14. coast1ja macrumors 6502

Get a MacBook Air!... the tablet will likely not run OSX, but a tarted up version of the iPhone OS.

15. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

16. gfiz macrumors 6502

gfiz

I wish the slate would just come and go already....no interest. Apple will be lucky if it does as well as the Apple TV and Cube...

17. Gaelic2 macrumors 6502

Well we will all know next month, perhaps, and all this angst will be for nothing. Let's just wait and see.;)

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nope.

True, for some it may be a good fit but for many MBP users I suspect it fails to address their needs. It will be underpowered, potentially not have an intel chip set (if you believe the current rumors) and may only be a glorified ipod touch.

There's a reason why tablet PCs have never really caught on and its not because of lack of hardware but because they're a solution in search of a problem. So if you consider the potential hardware (non-intel) of the apple tablet and lack of a true need, then I'd say for most MBP users it will not displace the laptop.

19. tommy8884 macrumors member

I have an iPhone. I have a laptop. I have a pc. Why would I want a slate. It's a pointless device

20. Spandexman macrumors regular

Well, no, not pointless, just unneccesary for you(you assume, I mean you don't even know what it does). Just saying.

21. Eruanno macrumors newbie

Oh, that is so true.
    But the MBP can be a computer AND a diversion both at once, whereas the "slate" is simply a diversion.

22. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

+1

Wait until it comes out and then compare it.

There is no way that a tablet can be as good as the 17" MBP.

Actually, it can; if it costs $4,000 USD.

Have it be a MBP with an Arrandale processor (w/ integrated graphics) in the LCD section. Have the LCD detach. Have a better processor, battery, etc. stored in the base.

That's ridiculous! Also the only way that a tablet could do as much as a 17" MBP.

Obviously, I'm joking. :)

23. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

IF the slate comes out, it won't have the same functionality as a MBP. Therefore, users needing MBP capability won't consider a tablet. At least I wouldn't...

Habitus :apple:

24. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

They failed because the hardware and software implementation sucked. MS thought that all you had to do to make a tablet was just to make it so you could write anywhere on the screen.

I need a device that
    A) Doesn't suck
    B) has a screen larger than an iPhone
    C) Doesn't need to have a keyboard but should have some intutive form of input
    D) aformentioned screen for reading full color pages of text + graphics.

If some "iSlate" meets all of these reqs than i'll be first in line (already have $$$ lined up) . All the tablets that have come before it are klunky n' slow, specially those fugly convertable ones. The potential out there is huge. Apple sees the dollars floating around especially in the rentable textbook / education space.

25. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Kind of hard to be torned on something that doesn't exist yet :p