Anybody tried Drop Call Eliminator?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by labman, Jun 19, 2011.

1. labman macrumors 604

labman

it's $4.99 I wouldn't mind forking out $5 if it works. Not if it's junk though. perfect example of a app or fix that should have a trial period.

here is the claim

Tired of dropped calls? Who isn’t!

DropCall Eliminator puts an end to dropped calls that have plagued AT&T iPhone users due to voice/data conflicts on AT&T’s 3G network. As has been well documented, most dropped calls are a result of a conflict between AT&T’s 3G network and the iPhone device.

To eliminate this problem, DropCall Eliminator takes advantage of AT&T’s EDGE network, which does not have this conflict, to route phone calls while maintaining the speed of 3G for user selected applications. In this way, DropCall Eliminator runs seamlessly in the background to successfully put an end to this issue of dropped calls without sacrificing performance.
    As reported by Gizmodo, “When people have a hard time getting their calls through on the carrier’s 3G network, AT&T tech support tells customers to try making calls on the EDGE network.”
    Requires use in an AT&T service area that has both 3G and 2G (Edge) service.

Note there is often a short delay in switching between 3G and 2G (Edge) service.

Works on iPhone 3G, 3GS and 4.

A DropCall Eliminator icon for configuring the settings will be added to your home screen.

Requires iOS 4 or higher

Requires iPhone

Requires AT&T and both EDGE & 3G

Price: $5

2. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

The only dropped calls I've ever had on AT&T were a result of accidentally touching the antenna seam for more than a few seconds in a bad signal area, so I don't know if this would benefit me. Thanks for the info though.

3. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

This sounds useful! Would probably come in handy for other 3G GSM iPhone 4 carriers too (we have several in Canada). :)

4. dudeabiding macrumors 6502

dudeabiding

I've had about three dropped calls altogether over about three years with three iPhones. Don't see much need for the app, personally.

5. labman thread starter macrumors 604

labman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I get several dropped calls and failed calls in Michigan, Detroit area. I have had to apologize several times. Even with a microcell I get failed or dropped calls. I might end up biting the bullet on this one.

6. truncj macrumors member

Drop Call Eliminator basically is an auto-toggle for 3g. Unless a specifically whitelisted/blacklisted app is running in the backgroud/foreground, you're forced to use Edge. This is not just forcing the phone.app to use Edge, but actually every other application as well.

From what I can tell: If you whitelist TweetBot, whenever TweetBot is running, the phone will be using 3g instead of Edge. If not running any whitelisted app, it will use Edge, thus decreasing the likelihood of a call dropping.

7. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

The worst that can happen is the app won't work at all and you lose five bucks. Go for it!

8. labman thread starter macrumors 604

labman

one problem I see here is my microcell amplifies 3g using this hack would basically eliminate the microcell use during calls. My house goes from 3-0 bars without the microcell. Att says I'm between towers. :rolleyes:.

9. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Ouuu. That might be an issue because the Microcell wouldn't amplify EDGE. Bummer. :(

10. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

I envy you. I get 3 to 5 dropped calls a day and I live in a supposedly large 3G area (DFW)

11. dudeabiding macrumors 6502

dudeabiding

I'm near the coast outside LA, but the entire West Coast works well for me, and when I go to Penn/NJ, it works well there, too.

12. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

ive been lucky havnt had a dropped call either, but im confused by this tweak. Are dropped calls casued by the signal changing from 3G to edge mid call?