Anybody tried TechRestore's Glossy->Matte service.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by steffi, Jan 8, 2009.

1. steffi macrumors 6502a

So Tech Restore offer a way to convert your Glossy to Matte. I think they simply replace your screen.

Anybody used that?

2. war eagle macrumors 6502a

Getting the service done next week. I'll let you know.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just wondering if there was an update to this since I plan to have this service done myself.

4. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

5. rhyx macrumors 6502

I'm equally interested. I assume they are replacing the screen. I want to see pics of the after.

6. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Those ARE pics of the after. The bezel gets scarred.

7. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

I gotta say thats a really bad job. There quality control isn't exactly good.

There is no reason for the scratches, nor is there a reason for the plastic to not fit snugly in there and have glue seeping out.

They should be using cut glass, or at least a panino black plastic. They should cut it properly so it fits with the rubber gasket correctly.

8. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Wow the job they did for Macworld looks horrific, you can also clearly see the Matte screen isn't as good quality as the old one Apple used to provide.

9. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

10. MrZebra macrumors regular

Yeah that's scary!

11. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Really? I can't see any evidence of that from the photos.

12. cerealj macrumors member

From those photos, the TechRestore screen looks substantially better.

13. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Are you serious or joking?

[​IMG]
    Left-hand images: TechRestore-modified MacBook Pro; right-hand images: stock unibody MacBook Pro.

14. szark macrumors 68030

szark

This is why we need to understand that each person sees things differently. Other than a possible white balance problem with the lower images (which may also be a color quality issue), I see no differences in color or quality between those two computers.

15. cerealj macrumors member

That photo is of the new glossy MBP, not the old matte. I said the TechRestore screen looked better than the old Apple matte. :p

Check out the previous photo on the site, comparing all three.

16. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

Photographers and Graphic Designers can see a great difference between the two displays. I see the color balance on the matte display needs to be calibrated to make it usable and the reflection on the glossy is very distracting. I own the new MBP only because the circumstances did not allow me to wait for a matte option. I would have a hard time spending $200 on a matte display with the residual damage to the case.

There is a reason that consumers like glossy, they do not do critical editing. I simply want to have the output on my large format printer match what I see on the display. I work on location and in the studio and the glossy screen does not help my workflow. Why are people unable to understand that other groups simply have other requirement when it comes to displays? If nothing else, stop arguing and allow qualified people to voice their opinions.

17. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Well don't the people that are serious about photography and graphic design have an external display anyway?

18. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

Not when you are at a remote location. There are many times that a client needs images processed asap and there is no room for an external display. This is exactly why I made my post. You assume there is time, a large budget to work with or we're too lazy to carry "one more case for the display, tower and other items". Trust me when I say that traveling by air teaches one to pack only what is essential. When the bags out number what is allowed, the airline holds out their hand to collect an overage fee.

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well I just ordered it. Supposedly they have a 30-day money back guarantee; which means if they damage my bezel I can kill them. Plus if I hate it, I can get it refitted back to stock.

Looks like I'm the guinea pig again. :rolleyes:

20. war eagle macrumors 6502a

Those pictures of the bezel do the service no justice whatsoever. It's an excellent service. I will have the pictures up soon.

21. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

I know you don't have that MacBook Pro anymore, but what was the outcome? Did you like it? Was there bad damage to the bezel?

22. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Those images on Macworld are just downright frightening. I'll keep my glossy. I don't seem to have glare issues (I work indoors) anyway.

23. FangBianMian macrumors member

FangBianMian

24. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Yeah, and god forbid have the stock screen mangled when they refit it as well. Good luck.