Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fillie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
I have a 24" Samsung monitor which I recently purchased plugged into my Macbook. I'm thinking about upgrading to a 24" iMac, but would hate to have to scrap/sell this perfectly good monitor.

Unfortunately, my desk is built-in to the wall and has two immoveable shelving units attached on either side of the monitor area. This means that placing the monitors side-by-side horizontally is impossible.

I noticed that it is possible to buy a vertical stand where you can stack one monitor on top of the other. I think this might do the trick, but would like to know what other people think, especially those that already have a certical stand.

If anybody else has any other good ideas, please let me know.

Hates

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
London, UK
Personally I'd find two monitors stacked vertically impossible to use. Fine if you are keeping screens, you might only refer to sometimes on top, but you lose the realy benefit of using the two at the same time.

Have you looked into a movable arm with a clamp mount for your 24" monitor? You could place the iMac on your desk and use the moveable arm to have the monitor sort of float at the side? I have my iMac directly infront of my and my 24" at an angle to the side. I find this better then arranging them as a V infront of me.

Eric.

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2008
Do you really have a use for two 24" displays? I know it would look cool to have two, but if the Samsung won't really be used you would be better off to sell it off and think about your purchases a little more next time.

Fillie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
Do you really have a use for two 24" displays? I know it would look cool to have two, but if the Samsung won't really be used you would be better off to sell it off and think about your purchases a little more next time.

I think thats a little harsh, considering how you don't know the full details of my situation. I am getting a laptop for work, which means I have no need for a laptop at home. Since my Macbook is up for refresh anyways, I thought it would be better to get a real iMac and reduce the cable clutter on/under the desk. Had I not been expecting to get a work laptop, then I would stick with the Macbook to maintain computing portability.

At the time I purchased my monitor, it made total sense as I was fully-confident I would be sticking with only laptop computers for home use. However, the option of getting a work laptop just came up recently, which is what I mostly use my Macbook for, so my needs have changed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.