Anybody use a passcode on their ipad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by The Game 161, Oct 5, 2011.

1. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Anybody use it for when you have your ipad at home? just in case something did by some chance steal it? or somebody want on it you didn't want to like your kids...or is find my iphone app enough for you?

2. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

3. poloponies Suspended

Never on the iPad which is invariably at my side 24/7 - with one exception. I attended a meeting at another firm and inadvertently left my iPad in their conference room. By the time I noticed it I was already in a cab and unable to reach anyone there so I locked it remotely from my iPhone. Received an email confirmation about 30 seconds later.

4. Eddy Munn macrumors 6502

Eddy Munn

I've set it to a 5 minute lock, but with the screen always on.
    With the smart cover, when closed for more than 5 minutes the password is required.

5. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors P6

The Game 161

How do you lock it from your phone then? just go into the find my iphone?

6. c14nhl macrumors 6502

c14nhl

I never had one on my iPhone when it was stolen from me. So by the time I had tried to track it, it was already switched off. I did however remote wipe it, and it wasn't until 5 days later I got the confirmation email telling me that it went ahead.

Since then I put a lock on all my iDevices, set for 5 minutes.

7. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

8. c14nhl macrumors 6502

c14nhl

Going forward I might ask Siri to "Remind me to password my phone when I leave home"

9. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

I have a simple passcode on my iPhone and a complex password on my iPad, because it's got access to quite a few of my online accounts (email, Facebook etc.) and 3G Internet access.

10. hchavarria macrumors 6502

I have a passcode on my iPad and phone and setup to auto lock at 2 min.

11. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

I set the passcode for 1 minute. Most likely, I'll use the iPad in large increments of time, not on and off like the iPhone. With the 1 minute, I can open it back up real quick if I forgot something.

12. Alicia4065 macrumors regular

Passcode on Ipad2 and Iphone4 don't want no one touching my stuff, they can go and buy their own ;)

13. neworleans-7 macrumors regular

neworleans-7

I use a passcode on both my iPad and iPhone. I figure why not?

14. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

My work exchange account requires a pass code.

15. saberahul macrumors 68040

Yes. You can lock it with its current password or make a new password if there isn't one on the device. I wish it would allow you to do this regardless of a password being on the device in the first place.

16. Vairan macrumors newbie

I use a passcode for my iPad at home, yes. It's better to be safe rather than to be sorry with sensitive and personal information on it - burglars, a maintenance worker, or even that annoying cousin who might wander into your room. :eek:

17. lokster macrumors 6502

lokster

passcode ever since. ive got alot of personal info on there, and i love the option that if entered wrong 10x then all the settings will reset. better be safe than sorry:cool:

18. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

absolutely...why would you not? even if you don't use the ipad for online stuff that requires passwords, you should secure it if you use it for email or store contact info on it.